1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pet Waste

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JLawn, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JLawn

JLawn LawnSite Member

Ok, here's a smelly subject... what do you guys think is the best way to address pet waste? With 2 big dogs in the yard, is it better to make a quick sweep and then mow or just plow on through the poo?
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

if you have to weedeat around it, wear a brush guard that covers the whole face
  3. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

if want to go through it it makes a mess and smells
    tell your customers that you can remove it for a extra 10.00 a week
    some take it some will remove it them selfs
    most of my customers oay me the 10 bucks so they dont have to deal with it
    the pooer scooper 5.00 at ace hardware payup
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

i do not pick up dog ****! we do charge extra for waste in the yard, but do not remove. There is a service up here, that cleans up pet waste. I tell my customers to call them if they are to lazy to clean up after thier dog!
  5. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I charge 10-12 bucks to pick it up, I carry the pooper scooper, but I do not dispose of the dog ****, thats their job I leave it in a bag for them. I used to take it and get rid of it for them but I couldn't stand how bad it smelled on those hot days.
  6. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I agree, I also charge an extra $10.00 a month to "de-poop" the yard. I include this in my written contract, when I do the first estimate inspection. I don't remove the poop, I just put it in their waste can.

XTreme Lawn Care
  7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I think $10 a month is too low. We charge $12.50 for one dog + $4.00 per additional dog for lawns under a half acre. Poop is a high profit business and a good add on for you.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never picked up for a dog and I never will.
  9. MikesLS

MikesLS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey I am with Tiedeman,I never pick up dog *** I mow over it
    and if I get any on my machine or stuck on tires , I use their hose
    to clean it off then I charge $10.00 per cutting extra,after a couple
    times they will sometimes clean it before I get there.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd say you'r emore in line with the 12 dollar range too. If they are that lazy they will probably complain about it all the time to their freinds but they will still pay it so they won't have to pick it up themselves.