pete moss----- need advice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by john b, Mar 25, 2003.

1. john b

john b LawnSite Member

i'm doing an estamate for a customer that has a major problem with pete moss choking out his lawn,he called me last night after trying for 3 years to get grass to grow with no luck.whats the best way to deal with this stuff?should i remove it all or can i spread loam over the top and re-seed,or can i just loam over it and re-seed?in either case how deep should i spread the loam?any help and or advice would be great!or maybe suggest a site or thread.thanks!!!!!!

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Who put down all the peat moss ? how thick is the peat before you get to dirt ? I think you should investigate a bit further, a soil test for PH would be a good start, the lawn could also be fried from over fertilization (another test), is the lawn wet ? dense shade ? high traffic ? pets ? all of these will have a bearing on grass growth.. Gosh only knows what some homeowners will try in an attempt to get a green lawn.
    Instead of adding yet another product to the mix (dirt) after you get the test results maybe all that will be needed is to rototill the area and reseed, the peat moss will only add organic material to the lawn (good).
    BobR