1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Peterbilt 335

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by superdigger, Feb 22, 2013.

1. superdigger

superdigger LawnSite Member

Looking for a truck to pull a 30' tandem trailer with a almost 20,000lb excavator. Found a peterbilt 335 with a cummins isc260hp, and 4.88 rear. Thoughts on this setup? Underpowered? Would also like to be able to put 6 ton of material in the truck box while towing as well, would not be done all the time just once in while.

2. superdigger

GVWR is 33000 and trailer is is a 12ton PJ

3. toomuchtime

toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure on the Isc but I had a F650 with 4.88 and a 300Hp cat c7. it was a dog with 15k behind it. Not sure what area you live in but I would stay away from anything below 300 hp if your dealing with any hills.

in my humble opnion with 6 tons of material on the truck and 20K behind you are asking for trouble in a truck with a gvw of 33k im assuming its a single axle truck.

i guy I work with just bought a 2008 pete 335 tandem axle dump 55K gvw he tows roughly 20k behind it daily and is looking for a ankle brace because everywhere he gos the truck is floored beatiful truck but no power! it has the isc with a 8LL behind it.

The pete 335 is a class 7 i would look for something a little beefier

Good luck

4. superdigger

How would it be just pulling the trailer with nothing in the box? Is 4.88 to low of a gear? Any reviews on the motor itself? Thanks.

5. Matteo30

Matteo30 LawnSite Member

I would not go any lower than a 300hp in that truck. You will defiantly be lugging up hills. Haven't herd many problems with the newer isc cummins