petunias and tulips

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by grass disaster, Sep 24, 2007.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have small round beds (3 x 3)flower beds in front of my house.

thinking ahead to spring. i currently have petunias in my beds. frost is fast approaching. i want to rip them out and plant tulips in there.

can i plant tulips in there so that after the tulips are done flowering. plant petunias over them

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

PAVE IT, just pave over the whole area. :drinkup:

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Yes you can put tulips in. Best to replace them each year....rip them out when they start to die back.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

if you want the tulips to be perennial you must let the green leaves die back, if you cut them back right after flowering you won't have a very good show next year.

so yes you can but if I were you I would burry 3 flower pots to plant your wave petunias in so you don't disturb the bulbs. oh, and put in about 150-200 for a good show.

daff_tulips_blooming.jpg

DaffadilsCloseup.jpg

5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you post twice? Did you post twice?

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Careful of Tulip Fire. Here we treat them as annuals.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Sure you can. Be sure you know the "critter factor" of where you live. Planting tulips in some areas of the country is like putting out the message "free food" to moles, voles, woodchucks, etc..

If they are likely to be a problem for you, plant daffodils because the animals won't eat 'em (poisonous, perhaps?). OR, plant tulips surrounded by sharp 1/2" stone with just a bit of soil around 'em. (Soil underneath for the roots, stone around to make the critters work for their dinners.)

8. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you mean they eat the bulbs? or the leaves?

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

They eat the bulbs over the winter - although a hungry woodchuck'll eat almost anything anytime of year.