1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pex? pipe gpm?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 29, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We are starting to see some POC with blue "1" Pex tubing from the plumbers.

This stuff is smaller than 1" but bigger than 3/4".

Plumber says it is 1" pipe. We usually will put a PVB on 1" PVC out of a house but this pipe seems pretty flimsy in comparison to PVC. Do we just have to adapt to this new pipe and reinforce our PVB's support?

We do not have the fittings for this pipe nor the crimpers. Plumbers have given us a fitting we can adapt to but I don't like to rely on others for the tools.

Thanks ,

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Don't fool with it! The plumbers love it, but we've seen it blow out in field
    situations where the plumbers did the work.:hammerhead: :dizzy:
  3. If you don't have a crimping tool for the fittings then compression fittings work just fine.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe works in your red clay, London, but it don't work in our glacial till.
  5. Oh yes... we all know the characteristics of glacial till:hammerhead: :confused:

I'm guessing soft and loamy?
  6. If the POC is pex what other options does he have?
  7. We have connected into many PEX lines for POC with crimped copper fittings and compression fittings with zero problems. The psi in my area is 100-175 psi with zero blowouts. Granted it is not my favorite pipe but I work with what I am given. My choice of POC would be soft K copper with flared fittings.
  8. Here are a few types of PEX I have worked with plus the crimping tool and fittings.

9. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input.

The pipe is already out of the building and it is all we have to work with. Just checking on experiences others may have had with this stuff.

Time to get a crimper and some fittings.

10. The tools are not cheap.....I have seen them on EBAY...but my plumber buddy says stay away...

I use his and he supplies crimpers and fittings.....I buy beer....works out well..

I actually would rather tap the pex than tap copper anyday....as far as ease of work standing on your head in the crawlspace...

As far as GPM...I have yet to notice much difference....I have also yet to look at the charts for the stufff....