PEX versus Polyethelene

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PJNTJ, Sep 28, 2011.

1. PJNTJ

PJNTJ LawnSite Member

Why don't irrigation installers use PEX instead of regular poly? Based on what little research I've done PEX is superior in every way, except for sunlight damage which isn't really a concern. PEX is becoming so much the standard now that I see its cheaper than poly. I can't be the first person to think of this, there has to be a reason besides "we use poly or PVC because that's what we've always used and that's the way it is".

Cross-linked Polyethelene meets ASTM standards for heat, cold, pressure, etc etc, certified for outdoor use, cold weather, etc, etc, seems far superior to poly. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your opinions.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sunlight damage is an immense concern. :hammerhead:

3. PJNTJ

PJNTJ LawnSite Member

In the northeast we don't get any sunlight 16 inches below ground.
    :)

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Ease of installing fittings. I've never seen a saddle for pex.

5. PJNTJ

PJNTJ LawnSite Member

Sharkbite fittings are press and pull. Parker has the Prestoloks, etc, etc. I suppose those would be a little more cost prohibitive, but there's a lot of fitting companies out there these days. I'm still thinking...

6. Wet_Boots

Just why are you worried about poly pipe at a burial depth of 16 inches?

7. PJNTJ

PJNTJ LawnSite Member

I'm not actually, I want to go much more shallow, I was throwing that number out there to act like a tough guy. Freeze/thaw cycles is actually my main concern, which is why I'm looking at all PEX versus poly. I can't find many drawbacks.

8. Wet_Boots

Freeze thaw is why you don't consider PEX, because it is a phenomenon (frost and heave) that can bring pipe to the surface, where it is exposed to sunlight.

9. PJNTJ

PJNTJ LawnSite Member

ok, yea, I'm new but your messing with me right?? :dizzy:

10. Wet_Boots

You would have to be new to not know that sprinkler pipes not covered by a lawn can work their way to the surface, in freezing climates.