PG leaking Gear oil?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by firedude26, Oct 13, 2007.

1. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

i haven't had a chance to get under it yet, but was wondering what you guys think i will be looking for? IF anyone has had the same problem.

2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The trans sometimes leak from the end seals, near where the wheels bolt on. Often they will leak from the input shaft on the top when the bearings wear out. Also, check your case for cracks where it bolts to the frame. We rebuild these units when parts are avaliable. Cases have become real hard to get. Seals and bearings are always avaliable. Hope this helps... Scott

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Permagreen Ultra? Magnum? Centri?

4. firedude26

from Mich

Magnum, i am going to look at it closer today.

5. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Bet your engine block is cracked. This has been a big problem for PG - the engine is aluminum and the fert eats right thru it.

6. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Are the PG's a short life product............by that I mean do you need to get all the life out of the unit in two years?

I've seen a lot of negative info on this site.

Of course, it could be like everything else, maintenance and caring operators are the life of equipment.

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You can run them several years, but you will need to keep the maintenance up on them.

8. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Indy,

OK........thanks for response.

My son and I can use a piece of equipment for 5 or 6 years and literally wear it out. However, the hired help is lucky to get through 2 seasons.

9. firedude26

from Mich

You are the winner!!!!!!!!!!!

This sucks, i have keep this machine very clean, i can't believe the engine block cracked, well trying to find another. thanks for all the help

10. firedude26

from Mich

well i just got off the phone with permagreen i have a new motor and gearbox assy on the way. I will give them alot of credit in there parts dept, it doesnt take long to get parts.
    price was 760.00