PG not spraying evenly

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Aug 23, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hey gang.

I've got a 2004 PG Ultra that ain't spraying right. Whenever I spray, the right and left nozzles spray differently. One sprays normally, another just dribbles or sprays really weak. I talked with Pat at PG today and he thought it sounded like mineral buildup inside the nozzles. I bought a new set locally, installed them, and same thing happens.

I've totally cleaned the hoses from the pump, through the 3-way valves, to the nozzles, and it still acts up. I took apart the diaphragm housings and cleaned them.

The only other thing I can think of is that the diaphragms have somehow gotten screwed up, but that seems unlikely to me.

Any ideas? I've got lawns to spray and don't really want to do 16k with a backpack. I did a 7k lawn like that today.

There. Now it's time for a brew. I'm thinking either a Gnaw Bone Pale Ale or a Barfly IPA. :drinkup:

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had similar problem. Turns out I had poor pressure due to low battery. If batt reads 12.5 volts or below--too low. Use battery charger and try to get it up to 12.8.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

This happens with the engine running as well. Can't have a battery charger attached while you're running around a lawn.

Something is impeding the pressure to the nozzle, I just can't figure out what.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

time for a new pump

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same exact problem. New pump time.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In my case--about the same year PG with the Briggs motor.I need help, too. I seem to have very poor battery charging. So...I charge the battery at night with a plug in battery charger. Clip it to any hot wire and use the frame for ground. Fully charged, it sprays great. It will spray for a couple of days. I switched to a motorcycle battery, also. ( $20)
    How does the electric starting work? Slow or not at all, indicates low battery.
    How many spraying ounces per minute do you get?
    Not sure--but as I recall--in June I was getting about 10 ounces in fifteen seconds--from each nozzle, (white nozzles). Is the intake filter plugged?
    Do you have the same problem with the low volume--red-nozzles?
    What about flow with no nozzles in place? What is flow from the primer/bleed valve at lower left of tank?
    Open the tank cover and look at the flow of the bypass back into the tank. Excess--then repair or replace pressure regulator. If weak--pump is probably the problem.
    And...check the wireing--it is very susceptible to corrosion from humidity and fertilizer. That flat black plug that connects to the pump often is so corroded it breaks off when you try to unplug it. If any wire between the pump and battery is almost rotted through--you may be running on 20 percent of the power you are supposed to have.
    If you happen to remove the pump--power it up with your truck battery--or your battery charger--does it run faster? Pump better?

7. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Call perma green they have the solution for you.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Sometimes the check valves at the nozzles go bad. If one nozzle sprays and the other does not it does not sound like a pumping problem. The diaphrams in the valves go bad at times. Check to see if you are getting flow before the nozzle.