PG or Z-spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Dec 8, 2006.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I own a PG ultra and need to buy another machine next spring. I know both
    are great machines my main concern is the size. Has anyone owned both
    and have an opion on the size.

2. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

First... you should really do a search on the subject.

But anyway, i have used both. The big problem i have is the amount of water you need to take each day if you use a z-spray. The PG uses such a low volume that you can get by with a 50 gal. tank. The amount of water you go through in peak weed season takes up too much room on the truck that you pretty much need a trailer for the machine (i hate trailers). A pick-up with a ramp is the best setup! Here is the ramp if your curious...http://www.handiramp.net/shop/item.asp?itemid=28

The new PG Magnum is awesome, far better than previous models, the Z-Spray is better built, I'll give it that, and on bug properties its sooo nice. But overall I prefer the PG. But I also wont knock the Z its a great machine also.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

To use less water with the Z-Spray use smaller nozzles. I think it is calibrated at about 20 gal/acre. Get nozzles that put out 4-5 gal/acre. The two 20 gal tanks could last all day. I use smaller nozzles on my Permagreen to cut my water usage. I fill my tank and use a 65 gal nurse tank. I never run out.

4. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Have you done this with a Z-Spray?? I would think you would have to change the pump also? I could be wrong. The GPM on the z-spray is drasticly diffrent then the PG. I have only used the Z-spray JR with the single tank. I've ridden the "big" one but never used one all day. And I wouldn't want to cut back on the amout on a PG, if you do and your coveage is still good thats awesome. Im not knocking you, maybe I'll try it next spring, but it's pretty rare i run out of water with the 50 gal.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly. The nice thing about the z spray is that you can have a wide range of nozzle tips to choose from depending on what you are putting out. I have a 15 gallon tank on my 36 inch z spray and can range from 11,000 square foot per tank for fungicides, to around 50,000 square foot for herbicides. You can go even higher per tank if you spray Ultra low volume, but I find I get better coverage on the tough weeds with a bit more water.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

You set the pressure manually on the z spray so no you don't need a different pump just different color coded nozzles. You do have to calibrate.

7. scweedman

Why do u carry water i just get water from the accounts i service.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy! You'll wish you hadn't said that! Heads up...here come the turf police!

9. scweedman

Please explain?

10. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

I'll explain. It's tacky!!

It's one thing if your on you last lawn, you run out and ask the customer if you can use their hose to finish up. Sure water is cheap but it's sooooo unprofessional to use the customers water. When you get your car repaired do you supply the tools for your mechanic to use? Do painting companies ask you to supply brushes and rollers? I know there are some industries, that get away with it, because its always been the way. But in our biz. it's not generally accepted by the customer that we are going to use their water.

just my opinion