PG problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I had my first breakdown of the year on my Permagreen Ultra. (800 hours)The upper ball and socket joint on the shifter arm popped out. Called Lesco on cell and they are getting me a new one. I broke the lower one last year. However--in each case I made a satisfactory temporary repair by wrapping a few layers of electrical tape around it. Lost time --about 5 minutes.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there a way to prevent it or lubricate it?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think those are parts that you can count on breaking over time. I try and keep an extra set on hand. I usually call PG direct for parts and they are here the next day! I clean and spray everything with silicone spray every friday and it seems to help. I'm even still on my original cables on my Magnum after almost 500 hrs!

3. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Those ball joints are a pain. We replace several a year on some machines, depends on the operator. Go to McMaster.com and get some of these: 59915k483 then just bolt it to the shifter arm, they never break.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto. We replaced these on two Ultras this summer. We're looking to switch to Z-Spray or the new _______ unit available by spring 2008.

5. RigglePLC

Got the part in 4 days. $10.05 plus tax. Five minute job to install--took me about a half hour. You need two small crescent wrenches. I worked some silicone grease into the ball joint.
    Today I got the motor a little wet while filling. PG refused to start. UNTIL--I shoved a little piece of plastic between the spark plug wire and the cylinder head so it could not short out. Then it started fine.

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

My tech keeps a can of "wire dry" on the truck for just such emergencies. We have a poor seal on some wires on the Magnum. Waiting for winter to fix, but the wire dry is handy just the same.

7. RigglePLC

Whoops PG Ultra (800 hours) broke down at 4 pm today. Runs fine, but electric start failed and spray pump output fell down to a dribble.

After an hour of wiggling wires I discovered a bad connection of the ground wire at the battery--a motorcycle battery that I installed myself. Partly myself to blame. Corrosion probably. I think I can fix it easily tomorrow.

I am thinking if there is some way to put all the wires and battery up high out of the way of the fertilizer and corrosion. i also want to rewire so that there are no or at least very few splices or connections to corrode.

8. RigglePLC

Horray! Problem fixed! Once diagnosed, just needed a new wire end terminal at the ground side of the battery. Done and coated with silicone sealer--trying to keep moisture out. Electric start even works--better than before.

9. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

On our Ultras, we mounted a motor cycle battery on the side of the hopper entension and ran 10ga wire to the starter. This totally bypassed the factory wiring harness for the starter. So far, it works well and has been holding up. I'll try and post some piucs if anyone wants.

10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

have any of you guys done the wiring upgrade on your ultras?

ive had much fewer issues since i got this done, battery has
    even lasted for 2 years now.

i do burn out the starter push button every couple months,
    dont know why, but i just found a replacement available
    at the autoparts store, made by standard.
    seems better quality

g/l