1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PG pump

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rlclawnguy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

Has anyone else ran into a problem with there pumps on the PG? Not just normal wear and tear but where it needs to be replaced once a month or more. We actually had to buy a separate pump straight from sureflow. I love the idea of these machines but they seem to have a bunch of ideas that cause us to spend a lot of time with our mechanic. By the way this issue was with our PG Ultra SE.
  2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to the world of mechanical applications. save a few minutes per lawn...spend those 'extra' minutes doin repairs/maintenance
  3. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Those sureflow electric pumps are weak; but replace them every month or better means something else is wrong. I've had to replace ours every year or two. Check your pressure, running them at too high a pressure will tear em up.
  4. Rlclawnguy

Its not really like that. Of course a day here and there might get you frusturated but I do more than save just a couple of minutes per property. I wouldn't do it any other way. The overall job is better than any hose spraying and spreader pushing. My real issue with the pump was that PG told me that it could be the chemical I was using and shureflow said it the pump wasn't made to do what it was doing.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search and use the words voltage regulator. You will find you answers there.
  6. Rlclawnguy

Yeah, I have changed the voltage regulator and actually they suggest to bypass it.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if you call permagreen they have a list of the chemicals that tear-up pumps (if it's not the gegulator). i have 275hrs on the orig pump. ester based herbicides will take the pump out if used alot (speedzone, chaser, low vol).
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have about 500 hours on my Permagreen ultra. These days PG uses the better pump--the "Flo-jet".
    But...I have trouble with the charging system. At PG's suggestion I bypassed the voltage regulator. A 60 second job--took me about a half hour.
    But still the voltage I measured gradually runs down. I charged with a battery charger. 12.9 volts is great and it starts fine. But after a couple of days, it falls to 12.4 volts. Doesn't spray well. I then have to start with the rope.
    Also I had some weed killer injury using my PG. I suspect the ester I used settled out over night. And next day maybe it sucked out pure weed killer with no water for the first 30 seconds. It wasn't pretty.
  9. teeca

i don't even have a battery in my ultra. it's been that way for the last 100+hrs. though i don't own the magnum, i think the best thing they have done is to get rid of the POS briggs & stratton.
  10. teeca

also i've read on here that people are replacing the 1.0pgm w/ 2gpm pump, though not one person that i've asked has givin the part #, so who knows?