PG spray overlap

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

According to the manual we are supposed to overlap spray by 4 ft. 11 ft spray swath & 7 ft fert passes.= 4 ft. over lap.So you can spread and spray the same distance @ the same time. My question is, how doesn't this cause turf damage? I've had my PG for 5 months but only did winterizing with it, no spray. What do you think?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Shades,
    You have made a very good point. The instructions disagree with themselves over this swath width matter. I think they meant to say to keep a 7 feet wheel to wheel distance--about like using a push spreader. Measured center to center, the swath would be about 10 feet. The fertilizer granules fly to the previous wheel track: you are covering everything twice. Once going north--again going south. Feathered edges, of course. That is what I have seen most people do. Slight overlap of weed killer.
    If you use a 7 foot swath, measured center to center, that means only 4 feet between wheel tracks. Very difficult to turn it around in a turning radius of less than 10 feet. You would need almost twice as many swaths and probably be slower than with a push spreader.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Myself, I run in a counterclockwise pattern, overlapping to the center of the previous tracks (on the right side), and get complete and total even spread every time. For spreading and spraying at the same time. The thing to consider, is that the spreader throws at an 11 to 3 o'clock (actually, between 2 and 3) position. It throws farther to the left than the right. After doing a border with just the left nozzle on (sprays across the center to about the alignment of the right wheel), I then just spray with both nozzles and overlap to the tiretracks as stated above. It is all the same, the spraying is just staggerd to the left a little bit per each row. When the spreader is hitting the center of the tire tracks, the sprayer nozzle spray is hitting perfect with just a hair of overlap. If your nozzles are set just right (where they are supposed to be), this works out perfect. After a while, you can get real good at this. I do however, still do two runs in tighter areas and with alot of obstacles. After I'm done with the counterclockwise run with granular, I run clockwise for the spray. This way, there is absolutely no confusion about what tracks are what, because you are running opposite directions. I hope this helps.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Safe to say, I'll be making two passes 1 Gran. 1 spray until i get it down to were i cn do it simultaneous.Thanks for the replies.
    -Jay

5. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

There's actually no conflict in the instructions. Here's why - Looking out from the operators position picture this - you spread 100% of the rate straight ahead the width of the machine (3 ft); 50% to the left (4 ft); and 50% to the right (4 ft) - for a total of 11 ft. When you come around again your left wheel should be about 4 ft from the right wheel (if you go counterclockwise). Now when you spread the 50% left throw is added to the 50% right throw from the previous pass for a total of 100%.

The spray works on the exact same wheel tracks except you're always spraying 100% of the rate left, right and center. Therefore you don't have to overlap all the way across the 4 ft space between tracks. Here's how the spray works - you spray 3 ft straight, 2.5 ft left and 2.5 ft right. When you come around for the next pass the 2.5 ft left spray overlaps the previous 2.5 right spray by about 1 foot.

Make as many passes as you want but you only need to make one to spread and spray. Just keep about 4 feet between passes and you'll never have a problem.

6. RigglePLC

Jay,
    try doing a few lawns with water and fert, until you are comfortable with the pattern. Then add the weedo. It is crabgrass season anyway--not warm enough for weeds for many weeks.
    Joe,
    Your square-spiral method method sounds good as long as your wheel tracks are visible. What do you do at the center if it comes out uneven? How many other LCO's do this? The instructions do not mention the square-spiral method.
    "For most products, turn every seven feet so that on the next pass the fertilizer reaches approximately back to the center of your last wheel marks."

What is the distance between wheel marks? What is it if measured center to center?

What settings are you using for fertilizer with crabgrass control? Brrr! it is cold out in the garage. I just checked. I use Lesco 19-0-6 Dim and use a setting of about 2.6 with the center hole at 17 on the guage.

Did anybody actually buy the optional Permagreen "Calibration Kit"? What was your experience? Did you find that the actual spreading width was more like 15 feet wide at the outer edges?

John

7. RigglePLC

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I was taught this by an ex GC super that has used Lesco spreaders for many years. He taught me this back when we were using push spreaders. well, since then, since PG is using the Lesco hoppers and the 3 hole design, it all works out the same. Back when he had the older PGs with the Spyker hoppers, he HATED them. He never could get an even application. With the center area, if there is any left over (often other is), the gap can be filled with either a single row spread (going out and turning around), or by shutting off a hole and dropping the deflector narrows it right up. The spray can be done the same way as well. It is usually pretty easy to see the tracks, but once in awhile, you really have to be attentive to where your turns are. After they get so tight, I do an outside pivot - in other words, if I have a 90 degree left, I go straight a couple of feet and turn around to the right (3/4 rotation). It goes as one fluid motion, so it only takes about 3 or 4 seconds.

9. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I agree with sclawndr, there should be 100% overlap on fertilizer and virtually no overlap on spray. I would make sure your nozzles are set up properly, at a slight angle upward and so that that spray goes just halfway back to your old wheel track. When doing this, there should also not be much overlap in the center of the machine (between the nozzles) or you are just doing the samething, except in front of you. The spray pattern is uniform and there is no need for overlap. I also understand that there is a "learning curve" while operating a PG. My biggest obstacle was learning when to shut on and turn off the fert. and spray, as they are not at the same time. Now like many of you, its second nature. If you are making two passes you are loosing money (time) and if you are overlapping you are loosing money (2X the product). Hope this helps.
    Chris

10. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Sounds to me like another PG nightmare. The longer you own one of those machines the more nightmares you will have.