1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PG Ultra help needed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Apr 3, 2006.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all PLEASE PLEASE don't turn this into a anti PG thread or hijack it for some other issue you might have. I own it, am glad I have something more efficient than a push spreader and a backpack. Until I can afford to purchase somthing else I choose to fix it. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers their help.

Anyway, the left side of my PG Ultra wont spray at all. Right side works fine good pattern and pressure. Both Left upper and lower tips only drip water out of them. I have cleaned the screens and checked all the diaphragms and tips for debris with no luck. My guess is that something is blocking a hose from the pump but where to start. Owners manual hasn't been really helpful and after three unreturned phone calls to PG and one E-mail not returned I am getting desperate to try something. If any of you have had this problem and found a solution please share it. I am fairly mechanical but have never worked on this unit and don't want to screw something up. The only help if found on their website is one article, 1010 pump/sprayer problems. This article suggested
    1) check engine RPM's which are at 3550
    2) clean the inside of tank and its uptake screen. Done
    3)Teflon the suction hose fitting. Not done yet but that would affect both sides equally right?
    4)Prime the pump. Done Right side works fine
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Most times when only one side sprays the pump is worn out. I've seen this many times on the PG's. To make sure, switch off the working side and see if the other side sprays, if it does, you need a pump. Also check the suction side of the pump to make sure it's not sucking air.
    On the Ultra, the pump is on the bottom of the machine and really easy to replace. I would suggest a Flo-jet as we have had too many problems with the Shur-flo that probably came on your machine, especially if you are spraying Speed-Zone. Let me know if you have any more questions.

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a problem like that with mine the guys at lesco replaced the pump. It worked after that!
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

agree, sounds like a pump

we keep an extra pump in every truck. We havnt switched over to flojet pumps yet but sounds like a good idea to do so

PS- i'm really suprised your calls have not been returned. Next time you have to call them ask for Tom the owner and explain to him why you had to call him directly. You will be taken care of

good luck

Thanks for the quick replies guys
    Regarding your suggestion, when I shut off the working side I get a weak flow of water out of it no pressure. I can stop it with my finger no problem.

How would I know if it is sucking air on the suction side. I assume that would be the teflon tape suggestion from PG article 1010. The right side works fine both uppers and lowers but the left side wont work.

Regarding the pump do you know the part number for the Flow-jet you are recommending?

They might be overwhelmed with calls right now but I cant wait and the secretary is starting to recognize my voice.
  7. Forever Green Lawn

If you shut off the working side and the other side still doesn't spray, then you may have a clog before the brass T shut off. Pull the line off the back and see if you get any flow. Then you may have to take off the black nozzle bodies on the non working side and run compressed air back through the line. Also check your nozzles and nozzle screens. I doesn't sound like a pump anymore. Let me know what you find.

will the compressed air damage the pump? Duh that would be after the pump and before the tips
  9. Forever Green Lawn

Before using compressed air, remove the nozzle body(cap, unloader valve and tip) and also disconnect the spray line before it goes into the brass shut off valve. Then you can run the air in where the nozzle body screws onto the machine. That will make sure nothing is in the line. Then with the spray line that you diconnected turn the pump on and see if you get any flow. Also check the shut off valve and blow it out. Basically with this problem you will have to trace the bad side all the way back from where it splits from the pump. If you isolate each section, you will be able to find the problem. Sometimes on the PG, shreads of plastic from assembly are left in the spray system and it can cause a restriction. Let me know how it goes.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

did the line get pinched somewhere?