PG Ultra question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 2, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I THINK I saw a post about this about 2 weeks ago, but for some reason I can't find it.

Here's the situation.

I had a nozzle start "clogging", or so I thought.

I then took the "white" nozzle and put it where the "red" nozzle is, just the tip.

That worked perfect, thereby assuming that the clogging was in the nozzle body itself, or somewhere up the line, between the nozzle body and the switch to go from "hi" to "low", since I get good flow out from where the red nozzle was, now with the white tip.

Anyways, I spray again the beginning of this week, a late call to spray 6 parks.

I get the first 3 done, no problems. The 4th one, started 2 days later, and the nozzle "clogs" up again.

I pull everything apart with the hoses, clean it all out, and nope, no go. I then proceed to pull the entire "white" nozzle body off of the right side of the machine, the one that's working good, and put it on the left side. Works perfect. So, now I'm back to something clogging this nozzle body.

I've got 2 new nozzles, including the bodies, so I put the entire new one on the right side, where I took the one from to replace the one on the left.

It works for about 30 minutes, then..... drip drip drip...... like it's plugged again.

In the meantime, the one on the left, still the original nozzle and body that came with the unit, although in a different location, is spraying just fine.

If I shut the pump off, and then turn it back on, it'll pump fine out the right side for about 20 seconds, then just drip again, while the left side pumps fine.

I ended up just shutting off the right side and spraying a 2 acre park with just the left side, trying to get these finished before I tear down the machine, possibly saving it for a winter project since this is the last job I'm sure I'll have.

Anyways, my question, for those that have experienced pump failures, does this sound like something that you've had happen?? I have a hard time thinking my pump is going out, since I get good flow out of the left side.

However, it's almost like the pump heats up and doesn't push enough fluid out, but if that's the case, then both should decrease in flow, not just the one.

Any ideas???

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like the pump what r u spraying and how old is the pump?
  3. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the pump and had the same problem. If you are using speedzone
    it will swell the diapram in the top of the sprayers. Also try the recycle on top of the tank take it apart and make sure you are getting a flow back to the tank. There is also a screen in each tip.
  4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Let me know if this works i had the exact same problems!
  5. I had the exact same problem, and after a new pump was installed, it seemed fixed for a time. The problem resurfaced within a few weeks.

The thing that fixed it was replacing the shut off valve (shut off caps??) on top of the nozzle bodies. The correct caps have a little "8" stamped on the outside, indicating they will open with 8 psi. Make sure you get the correct caps because if you get 10's then they won't work.

Hope that helps and good luck.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

I'm TRYING to spray Momentum FX.

I think I'll probably end up just spraying the last park (about 1 1/2 acres) with just the one nozzle again, and turn this into a winter project.

In between doing leaf cleanups and selling 4-5 loads of wood a night, I don't really have much time to tear something down and get it back together right now.

Thanks for the ideas though.

If it snows soon, I'll be posting again. :)
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try what bearfoot said. if your in a pinch for time, just take off the top of the red (low) nozzel and put it on the high (white) if you remove the plastic protector from the nozzel body, it's just a twist cap w/ the valve (a Viton diaphram). this way you can spray out of both sides at speed, and you just loose low.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

Okay, I've got one more complete nozzle body left, a red one.

If I take the top off, which has an "8" on it by the way, and put the top and the the diaphram in, that SHOULD correct the problem for now?? Am I understanding this right?
  9. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

If you are using any herbicides in an ester formulation stop.Esters clog the nozzles on ours , Drive,barrage any we have tried
  10. LwnmwrMan22

I don't think I'm experiencing this issue, since I've got one nozzle that's working perfectly fine, which has been on the unit from day one, just moved to different spots, in attempts to troubleshoot the machine, and it works the same no matter where I put it.