PG vs Z-spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Feb 24, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I saw some of the z-spray units at the new england grows, looks bad arse big tanks stainless steel hopper. Wondering if more own the PG because of lesco availability or if you think pg is a better machine. anyone own both?

2. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

To me these machines are not comparable. I do a lot of 2-3 acre properties and small properties. I think the p.g's are great for every thing besides big acreage. If I had more than a couple properties over 10 acres I might think about something bigger. On the other hand if the zspray was as light and easy to transport I would start comparing.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i see lots of pg broke down!!!

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

could be lack of maintenance ?!?!

5. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

We own several of each. PG's do require more maintenance, but it's well worth it in terms of the time saved vs. pushing lawns. We use the Z-sprays on the commercial properties and townhome complexes. I have use my Z-max on small lawns just to see how it worked and it wasn't too bad, but I do feel a PG is better in that case.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

pg all the way

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am sure the Z does a great job on large acreages...but I have yet to find a job TOO BIG for my PG.

I do the following with my PG:

23 acre cemetary
    18 acre cemetray (only one app/year)
    11.5 acre school

In the "wide open" setting I can probably hit about 2.5+ acres/hr.

I am a PG fan....but why would the Z do any better? They both run about the same speed and have about the same swath.

With the larger tanks on the Z, I am sure you can cover more K's/tank, but that also depends on your gal/K.

Just curious?

I will have a new machine this year to compare to my PG...so maybe I will find out myself! I am just curious to know why you guys don't think the PG does well on larger acreage.

8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. I dont own several of each but I do own both machines.

My z-max will double the production of a pg. Why? It is faster, spreads and sprays farther and needs to be reloaded 1/2 as often. I have done a 70 acre site in one day with 2 pg and a z-max and the z did 1/2 the days production by itself.(it was looooong day)

As soon as I have a property that is over 2 acres I start to look at it to see if I can run the z on it.

They dont hold a hill as well as a pg but once you figure it out you can do pretty good with it. (and by figure it out I mean you WILL end up in the woods up against a tree before you learn exactly where you can put it.)

Both have their place in my business, you just have to figure out what their benefits are for you business.

9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Here we go again....

The PG might as well be made in China when you look at it next to a Z-spray.

The only lawns too small for a Z-spray are the ones within a 36" gate.

10. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Well Said!