1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PG, Z-Spray, or T3000 for small lawns?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by maxrep12, Sep 3, 2008.

1. maxrep12

maxrep12 LawnSite Member

Of the powered spreaders listed, which might be best suited for small to medium residential lawns(3k to 12k)?

I have used wright standers for many years, so can appreciate the zero turn aspect, but don't want to purchase a spreader that is intended for larger properties. So I guess the key factor is smaller lawns. Money is not a huge factor.
  2. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of opinions on this matter. I have used all of the listed units. I like the T3000 on any size lawn.

Now just sit back and watch what happens in this thread.................
  3. ZSpray Info

ZSpray Info Inactive

Actually our units are very similar to the Wright Standers. When we started
    we purchased the rear frame and upright from Wright. We still use a similar design but in stainless steel. If you are able to use a Wright Stander in these yards, we feel our unit would be fine as well. Our Junior is the most suitable for you from our line-up. Each unit will have its plus and minuses.
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a jr and when i was looking at getting a ride on i called pg and they told me there are somethings that can not be sprayed out thru there unit like wp..thats something you might want to look into..i don't know if the T3000 can spray wp or not but i have used them in my jr without any problems...its real easy for me to get the jr around my yard but its also 40k sq....
  5. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

We are 99% commercial. We have had the Z-Max for 2 years now. It comes out with us everyday. We can always find a job for it.
    This year we won the bids on some HOA. They range from 60 houses to 175 houses. We use the Z-Max on the houses without gates. Its nice but we are looking at the Jr for these props. We are hoping the Jr has the same quality and is efficient as the Max.

We have a perma-green ultra also. But it honest to god breaks down every week no matter what P/M we do. I know they have made improvements on the newer models but all the problems we have had with the ultra has ruined any chance of us getting another perma-green.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

That is exactly why I am leaning toward the Z-jr. I run the Ultra now. I have 99% residential. How bout Gustav!...real productive week I've had. I'm just north of Little Rock
  7. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Been home for 2 days now. If only the rain would control nutgrass and this late crabgrass popping up. I could get used to being at home for a while.

I used to work for one of your competiors up there. Fairway Lawns. I worked for them here in Memphis but we had to go for a company meeting in LR every year.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think all machines will do a good job for you! The T and Z have several more options but if you are only looking at applying broadleaf control and dry fert the PG will do a great job for you!

The T-3000 would definitly be my pick if not the PG...but the Z is a very good machine I am sure, I just DO NOT LIKE BOOMS!

PG does very well as it does a great job in tighter areas due to being articulated.
  9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Just yesterday I used my T3000 on lawns ranging in size from 4,000 to 40,000 Sq. Ft. One of the yards had a gate and the area in the fenced area was about 2,000 Sq. Ft., it worked great. I can get in every nook and cranny and not leave prill's all over the place, only where they are supposed to be.

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

No Question the Z spray! Most productive, most reliable 800 hours on mine no problems.