PGJ users..

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What is your estimated NIB (new in box) defective rate? How about warantee repair?

I'd love to start using a reliable small rotor, but the PGM was total junk, and I have my doubts that hunter has fixed them.

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Jon, I'm like you about the pgj. I'm more than just a bit gun shy. The pgm/pgj's are almost the same money as a full size rotor (read that pgp). My solution when I have to get down to those distances is to use an I-20 w/ that short range nozzle set. It's going to cost you more for the rotor, but my opinion has been it is money well spent vs. call backs and warranty repairs. (the junk is covered, but my time is still "my time")

3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I started using the PGJ last year and put in a couple of cases. No call backs yet and they did just what I wanted them too.

John

4. bicmudpuppy

That makes them better than pgm's. I used to expect a min of one out of every case if not two to be bad right out of the box. With increased failures in the first year.

5. I like them...I haven't had a bad one this season..probably installed 40-50 of them.

I just used them on a property with 2.5 gpm at the well...that was all they had....I'm running 3 per zone with the .75 nozzle and it is shooting 12-14 feet, depending on wind. It was all I could do...and they had to have grass even though their house is at 11,000 feet in elevation and they are never there. Ugh.

Even with 25psi, these heads have been reliable...of course it has only been 4 days.....if they turn out to suck, I'll be sure to let you all know.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

installed 30-40 this year and last no problems. I will not use them in spacing that is over 21 feet. My cost is 8.00 my pgp cost from JDL is 11.79. Am I being treated fair on the price or gouged

7. bicmudpuppy

I wish I knew the right answer to THAT question. I like the CR500. I think it is a better head than the PGP, but when I switched from PGP's to the CR500, I was also, paying 10.50-11+ for PGP's. I have always gotten a full 50% of list (17.95) when buying the irritrol rotor. Online suppliers are advertising 7.95 for PGP's and my supplier won't match that, but he tells me that the KC Ewing stores are matching or beating that price if your volume is appropriate. Small note here, I'm a one man band doing more repair than install. I don't buy 20 cases of rotor/year. Irritrol is not a strong market here, so the matrix is aggressive to combat that.

8. jcom

I can buy all the PGP's I want for $9.00 delivered to my door with a minimum order of $500 from MTI.

Marsan Turf and Irrigation from CA.

John

9. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I buy around 800-1000 a year thats a heck of a savings, do you know anyone personally there payup

10. jcom

I don't know anybody personally there. There phone operators/order takers are pretty good. If you throw a tough question at them, they will get a guy that has a lot of answers. They have given me great service. I want to buy all I can locally, but 25% price difference is just too damn much.

John