Pgm Bucket Test

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cenlo, May 3, 2005.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

When testing the gpm with a five gallon pail, does it matter if the water is taken from the 1/2" supplied hose bib. And when I stub a 5/8" or 3/4" supply line from the 5/8" meter will it increase the gpm available?

Thanks, Don

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

When designing for a 3/4" supply line, testing a 1/2" line is pointless.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

But testing with a 1/2 suply line is generally the only available place to do it. If you design the system on whats available thru a 1/2 hose bib the system will operate even during times of high water usage in the area. I have found that on city water the flow rate available in march ,april and may is higher than whats available in July and august . ( more homes are using water ) I have 5 areas that sprinklers wont work on saturday afternoon in mid summer due to this. Second if you are installing the BFP at the house the main shut off valve for the house inside at the 3/4 line actually restricts the flow to the equivilent of a 1/2 inch line .

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Every house in this area will have the service line, meter then boiler drain.

5. cenlo

from Ontario

I agree, how in the world can I get the gpm? Am I supposed to use complete $200.00-$300.0 worth of work and plumb the new 3/4" supply line to the exterior of the house in every job that I estimate?

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

...and remember to take it out of your truck when the cold nights return, because the gauges will freeze. Use it to test the flow and pressure at a hose bibb nearest the water meter. What you see at the faucet will be there for you when you fully plumb the system, plus whatever pressure is lost through the half inch faucet and pipe while you're measuring.

7. cenlo

from Ontario

thanks alot :)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If you test from a 1/2 hose bib, and design your system around those results then you will ensure good coverage even under peak water demands.

Its a good practice to get into. There are so many systems that I end up going back after another installer and splitting the zones because they did not calculate the GPM properly.