PGP nozzle replacement problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by organiclawn, Jul 31, 2006.

1. organiclawn

organiclawn LawnSite Member

Encountered a problem when replacing several (new) nozzles on (older) PGP heads. Water is shooting around the sides (left/right only) of the nozzles resulting in a very poor spray pattern. The nozzles appear to be seated properly and the adjusting the nozzle screw has no effect. I have the same problem occurring on several heads, so it isn't an isolated problem to 1 bad nozzle.

The only thing I can think of is trying several nozzles from different nozzle trees to find the best fit. If that doesn't work, I may have to swap out for new heads. Was wondering if others have experienced this problem and/or had any suggestions before I set out on my trial and error swap testing. Appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    Organiclawn

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

is the spray coming from between the head and nozzle? or is it a larger nozzle number with a side port built? if the former i would try a different tree, if that doesn't work, change the heads and return them.

pg

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Did you scratch the head up trying to remove the original nozzle?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen that once or twice, without having 'scarred' the old head while yanking the nozzle. I recalled a very-old installers technique (for insert fittings and poly) from the days before pushbutton blowtorches, and spit all over the next nozzle I tried, and Voila! - no leaks.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

YUCK Boots! Now I have to go to work tomorrow with this image of some New Yorker with a can of Loogie Seal smearing nozzles. :nono:

Rectum Seal... yes. Loogie Seal... no. :laugh:

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just have a few tequila Otter Pops until the image goes away. Besides, sprinklers are supposed to be non-potable anyway. At least I wasn't chewing tobacco.

7. organiclawn

organiclawn LawnSite Member

WAD, that's exactly what it is. Obviously, sprinkler maint. is not my regular thing. I was trying to do a favor for a lawn I maintain, their original system install had #7 nozzles in every head! I left the 7's in the 180 degree heads, and replaced with 90 and 360 degree heads with 4's and 10's - figured this would help achieve better uniformity. I hadn't noticed the side ports on the 10's, but that's what I was noticing. I'll assume that the spray pattern is supposed to be this way as that is how the nozzles are designed, it just doesn't look as nice and uniform as the small nozzle sprays. Live and learn.

Thanks for the input (and going easy on me) :waving:
    Organiclawn

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

#10 is probably too large for a 360 on your average residential install, thats moving 7.9 gpm at 50 psi, and it probably won't look too good.

I would renozzle the 180's to #6's (2.0 gpm) and the 360's to #8's (3.9 gpm), I would leave the #4's in the 90's, even though its not perfectly matched precipiation because Hunter 1-3 nozzles are pathetic.

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

DW has a point, most Resi's can't handle a #10 nozzle. i'm happy i could help.

As far as 1-3's i tend to use them when replacing PGM's (crap). lower PR and throw, and i'm not running sprays and rotors on the same zone.

On a side note, due to a bad thumb injury, i'm relativly out of commission. thank god for helpers, although trying to troubleshoot from the timer is a pain in the butt. but it's amazing what you can figure out just looking at/ listening to a water meter.

pg

ps. typing rather stinks too.