PGP or I-20?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, May 26, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Which do you prefer/recommend? I know both are quality rotors, but I think I like the ability of being able to turn off one head for maintenance, and the check valve concept sounds like it will save water & soil erosion on the lowest rotor.

I would appreciate your thoughts on these two quality rotors, pros & cons.

Thanks!

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Both are good. the I-20 is definitly the better head. We always offer it as an upsale to our customers.

The checkvalves are bad if you ever have to put one on a riser, they don't allow the head to drain, and it will freeze and be damaged.

The I-20's also have better nozzle tree's available than the PGP's.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just understand that the heads use the same gear drive, so in many ways, they are the same thing. (but I do like that Flo-Stop)

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If you read many of the posts here, you will know up front I'm not a Hunter "fan" anyway, but I personally put the I-20 as a better head than the PGP. That being said, I *think* I replace a larger percentage of I-20's than PGP's of the same age. I don't document it, but the reason I think this is because the I-20 is a 5 year warranty (from date of manufacture) head vs. the 2 year PGP and I "warranty" a fair number of I-20's. That doesn't mean the homeowner gets a break, it means my inventory gets a break. The only I-20's I buy are for repair/replacement on contract specs that prevent me from replacing w/ my head of choice. I have a few accounts that feel this way w/ PGP's too. Accounts that are not Hunter or Irritrol heads do not get this option in the specs. If the specs call for replacing other brands with like heads, I often just pass.

5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I can see where Flo-Stop would be handy in the beginning, when changing nozzles to get the pattern just right. But after that, for REAL maintenance, I suspect the water would have to be shut off for any major maintenance anyway.

JonHolland, I know what you mean about freezing, but in the last 2 years I have lived here, it hasn't frozen my waterhoses hanging on the side of the house. I kind of like the idea of all the water NOT draining from the laterals after the timer shuts off, and causing soil erosion around one or two heads. Also, I planned on draining the sprinklers when I am thru with them in the fall, so only a SMALL amount of water would remain, probably not enough to crack anything if it DID freeze. And, I plan on burying my laterals at least 12", not the 3-4" like most others in the neighborhood are.

6. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

i'm in a small market where profit margins are pretty high. i'm considered the local lowballer when i bid at 500 plus 100 a head. typical yards are 4000 feet, and sprinklers are going for 1800 bucks or so.

i'm building the i20's as my quality brand. our company sells quality, service, and the ability to "GIT R DUN!"

When I give a bid, adn customer starts haggling, I'll fold on the heads. "Well, that price was with the stainless steel shaft gear drives. Top fo the line, with a manufacturers 5 year warrantee. If you want to save a few bucks, we can drop to the PGP's. Good unit too."

Customers don't want to drop the quality. Then, when they ask my competitors "did your price have the stainless shafts", my competitors are toast.

7. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

You might be the low guy there, but here, I was offered a price of $38 per head, period. Guess I was offered a bargain! ;)

What say ye about the I-20 SS heads? Are they really worth the extra $3, or do they just look pretty?

One concern I have on using pro-grade items such as this is that when I have moved away, and am renting this house, will my tenants/manager be able to get replacement parts easily enough? I haven't found a local Hunter dealer yet.

8. drmiller100

PGP's are good heads.
    I20's are better.

if you are worried about the three dollar difference, i don't think you are going to end up with a good system.

this site is AWESOME. I have learned so much here. Irritrol valves, I20's, poly pulled, blazing saddles with funny pipe. Wow.

Friday the sod showed up late. I was in a hurry, and drove over an I20 in front of a customer, who laughed at me. I got out, kicked some dirt under it to level 'er back up, and continued on.
    Customer was SHOCKED I didn't dig it up. Sprinkler worked fine, and custoemr was IMPRESSED with my sprinklers. Not my driving, but my sprinkler system was cool. PGP's would have lived too.

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a new marketing plan? Show them that the things can take any kind of abuse and still work? Good on ya. Sometimes one has to impress 'em to keep 'em guessing.

10. drmiller100

It really wasn't the plan to drive over it. I was driving the skidsteer with a full load of fairly wet sod, and watching two trees I was trying to weave between.
    I literally scrubbed sideways with the tires right across the top of the sprinkler. It looked really bad.
    But I knew i had 2 feet of funny pipe to the saddle, and I knew I had scrubbed towards the poly line, so I figured I was ok. When I kicked dirt, I kicked the top of the sprinkler, thinking if I had broke or pulled something loose, the sprinkler would pop up out of the ground. It was pretty cool though.
    Another thing htat has been really cool is turning the sprinkler system on and having no leaks in the entire system except for the manifolds. I still get leaks there, dang it all.