PGP Rotary Sprinkler Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

Yesterday I was given a PGP rotary sprinkler (4" pop-up) by my neighbor to replace one that was leaking between the turret and the body.

My neighbor works for a lawn care company and does minor irrigation repair.

The PGP he gave me is made so you can completely dis-assemble the thing.

All the PGP's that were installed in my yard by an irrigation company 6 years ago, cannot be dis-assembled.

Aren't all PGP's the same?

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ed... by "completely disassemble" do you mean separating the actual sprinkler from the body or are you saying you can remove the nozzle housing, sprinkler riser, spring, etc. and break the sprinkler down into components similar to just about every spray pop-up on the market?

3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Have you gotten the old PGP out of the ground or are you trying to disassemble it while it is still in the ground? They can be a pain to take apart in the ground after they have been in there for awhile. However, you should be able to take it apart once you have it out of the ground. Why do you want to take it apart?

4. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

I was meaning you could seperate the pop-up turret from the body (like you can with the 4" pop-up spray bodies).

But, now that you mention it, the one my neighbor gave me, sure looks like you could detach the nozzle housing and remove the spring.

5. PurpHaze

6. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

Quote: "Have you gotten the old PGP out of the ground or are you trying to disassemble it while it is still in the ground? They can be a pain to take apart in the ground after they have been in there for awhile. However, you should be able to take it apart once you have it out of the ground. Why do you want to take it apart?"

yep the PGP's are out of the ground. I have several laying around since I replaced them with the MP Rotators.

I originally wanted to take the leaking PGP apart thinking that perhaps dirt was causing it to leak and I could clean and flush it out.

Every one the PGP's I removed from the ground almost seems as if the nut was glued to the body.

Would an irrigator do this in order to gain a future service call?

7. PurpHaze

Unless they've radically changed the design and made the sprinkler/body an all-in-one unit you probably just have a sprinkler that has been tightened drastically onto the body.

The Hunter PGP assembly line is a totally automated line. Maybe one of the machines overtightened the sprinkler guts to the body? I've had other sprinklers (from various manufacturers), usually in a "by case" scenario, where it's almost impossible to separate the sprinkler from the body due to tightness and have had to reply on two pairs of Channel Locks to separate them. I've had this happen from time to time with the Hunter I-20 too.

Can you post a picture Ed?

8. PurpHaze

Doubt that anyone would go through the trouble... but stranger things have happened. :laugh:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I do this all the time because I never have enough work to keep me occupied. :rolleyes: But I suppose it could happen.

10. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

I could see one or two PGP's being drastically over tightened, but all of them? Seems strange.

It's really no big deal. I'm just curious about the reason they won't seperate. I was thinking there might be a contractor and residential version of the PGP.

I'm so spoiled by the coverage and simplicity of the MP Rotators, that come winter, those damn PGP's in my front yard are gonna get yanked.