1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PGP Shrub rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jul 20, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody use the Hunter PGP shrub rotors that attach to an above ground rigid riser?

I have an install I put in back in 2001 that we had one zone for the garden, flower, planting area that circled around the grass in the back yard. Some of the plants are about 3'-4' tall. They didn't want drip (or I didn't offer, not sure) and NetaFim really wasn't noticeable here at that time anyway. So we have 8 risers with shrub adapters along the fence spraying the beds and a little overspray into the grass.

Now here is the bad part. I have fought with this from day one due to ...... galvanized supply into the house. Didn't do a flow test (don't get me started) but did size down the zones from what was typical. Well this one zone has always struggled to cover well. I even tried the MPs when they first came out. Worked like crap with those. Maybe that is why I don't like them.

So I finally tried the PGP shrub rotors because he called and wanted to split the zone in two, which I did not want to do. Whether he paid or not. They worked great using #2 nozzles, and could have probably gone to #4s, but wanted to keep it #2. Covers everything now and the customer is very happy. Couldn't have done with regular PGPs because they couldn't have pushed up the springs very well. Only issue is the leaking from around the nozzle and running down the riser and pooling at the base.
  2. did you try mp's on it recently? Or just when they first came out..?
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just when they first came out. Should've tried again recently with the newer ones, but I didn't.
  4. BIG difference between the MP1000 and MP2000. Might need to buy all lengths and experiment. I love the MP2000 so-so on the rest.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

MP 2000s are my choice for risers. Use copper & the Weather-Matic 5500
    brass sweat adapter (universal thread).