PGP's leaking

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Apr 29, 2008.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've had too many leak around the cap and/or wiper seal.
    Switched to Rainbird 5400 and at a better price.
    Surprised there are not more complaints about the PGP's on this forum. I can't be the only one with this problem. :hammerhead:
  2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Brand new out-of-the-box, and they leak?

Or are you just doing "guts" replacements and leaving the old canister in the ground?
  3. irritation

They're fine new from the box. Some leak after a year or two. Most were whole head replacements, some were just guts.
    I never understood the one thread on the canister for the cap.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you just replace the seals?
  5. irritation

Very time consuming and I shouldn't need to.
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Not saying this is YOUR situation.......

Many times when a wiper seal leaks after *just* one or two years, it is because either sand/dirt gets sucked back into the head when the zone is done firing (the head is set too low). Or there is sand/dirt/grit in the line that gets into the head. The sand/dirt/grit acts like ... sand paper and scratches the riser and the rubber seal. Then it leaks.

Does the zone have super high pressure?
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im having the same problem right out of the box. Pgh,s are about 50% failure rate , pgp,s running about 10%. Bought a couple cases of I20,s yesterday. Thought I would see what customers attitudes were when I use them for service. If no one complains about the price Im going to stay with them.

8. We've switched from Hunter to RB 5000s. The pgp has been a workhorse the likes of the 205 and has led to much needed improvement in rotor development. It's time has come and gone. Just a big box head to me now.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter isn't so "all that" that they can afford to let PGP reliability slide. Look at the disdain a lot of folks have for Toro these days, and they were once the leader of the pack.

Ahem. Any Hunter reps in the audience?
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Scary failure rate. Will stick with RB.