1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

PGR For Shrubs (Atrimec)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 2 man crew, Mar 15, 2005.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Does Any one have experience with Atrimec on shrubs and ornamentals.

I would like to treat large landscaped area in a town home complex. I'm concerned about any yellowing of the shrubs and over spray on turf. I would like to treat before the heavy spring growth this year with a 200 gal. spray tank with a chem gun. The label says 1-3oz per gal. Does anyone have experience with mix rates and results?
  2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have used Atrimec in the past and still do from time to time. Just read the label carefully and you will not have any problems. Having said that, I usually spray them as soon as I am finished pruning or within a day or two. It seems to stop the flush growth a little better.

I have never had anything yellow. There is another product I used years ago but can not remember the name but I do know a quart now costs about $300.

Oh and would not worry much about getting it on the turf. In fact I have been known to spray some around my borders with great results (it is labeled for grasses too). Really reducses the weed eating!
  3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Atrimec will cause the privets to yellow and drop some leaves, if you OD them. Just use some chelated iron.
  4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

What are the results if you spray before the spring growth on the new leaves? I'm looking to cut labor on the first trimming. Trimming takes 90 labor hours.
  5. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I missed that window last year, and since I'm no longer in the maintenance, I most likely won't be doing it anytime soon. However, I understand there's a guy here that does that. I wasn't given his name and it was from a rep, so take that for what it's worth. I don't think you'll ever get out of trimming but you can greatly reduce it. Atrimec seems to affect different shrub types differently, and you'll see that there are different strengths labeled for different shrub varieties. I REALLY wish that DENNIS (excel25) would weigh in on this because he had better success with Atrimec than I did, and he's only 2.5 hours north of me.

Being in Minnesota, you'll likely have wonderful success with it. I wish trimming had only taken 90 hours for us ... it was more like 90 hours a month.

I will tell you that on shrubs like privets, etc. we only had to trim them 4-5 times per season, vs 2-3 times a month.
    Our growing season goes from mid-march to Oct/Nov.