PGR's in dense shade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doster's L & L, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Originally posted by Tvov
    That's your problem. Some people think that dumping lots of lime on the yard will help (maybe, but I haven't seen it), but you've got to thin out the trees if you want a nice thick lawn. I've got one customer in particular that has a shady backyard, and keeps spending money on all sorts of things to thicken up the grass, except thinning the trees out. He even agrees with me, but just doesn't want to thin the trees.

I really don't think the leaf dust would be that big a problem. If they're oak, some people believe that the oak leaves leach into the ground, making it acidic. That's where the idea of dumping lime onto the yard comes from. But, you've still got a shady yard!

Gotta love customers.

Has this customer tried using Primo or another PGR? I have never tried using this for any reason, but if applied, it restricts the grass from growing upward, instead it is "forced" to grow out. You won't mow nearly as much, but it should thicken the turf considerably. The thing about Primo is that it is super-expensive. $400/quart i think. Correct me if i am wrong, anyone.
    Also, i understand that if someone spread some form of glucose (sugar) that it will help to thicken the lawn and green it up a bit too. If anyone can go into further detail on this subject, please do!

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's $400/gallon. And from what I've been able to glean from Dave Hall and the others in the organic forum, the sugar is food for the soil microbes, which sets up a nice little chain that results in the grass getting nutrients that it needs.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Primo is gods gift to us. It is well worth your time to research it. Keep in mind the 1 gallon will go a long way... but it is still expensive
  4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

So how many thousand ft will the gallon treat? Thanks guys for the info. I will check out the organic forum.
  5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I used Primo with my seeding this year -- was plaeased witht he results.

Primo is used on cool season turf at .75oz/1000

1 gallon treats 170K or around 4.25 acres. Cost around $2.50 /k