PGR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Feb 11, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

What is everybodys opinion on using them to slow down turf growth? I can see using them for landscaping, weeds, etc. But not on turf.

I read a recent magazine article that some of the print and quotes kind of made me scratch my head.

"Control over growth allows LCO's to better manage their workloads by slowing the rate at which properties to be maintained."

"Some PGR's allow LCO's to take on more customers because they can better manage mowing operations."

All I can say is.....WHAT??????

2. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

I have used them to cut back time line trimming in hard to reach areas ,but not on large lawn areas??

3. tiedeman

from earth

ya, I can understand something like that. But why cut back the number of times that you cut a property during the year? You would be losing money. And then saying that you can take on more properties to maintain. Why not just take care of that property without PGR?

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Troy, if its under contract to look its best always, then the less work you put into maintaining it, the better off you will be. For example, if your contract says trim shrubs as needed to maintain professional apearance and you bid it at 6 trims per year...you apply a PGR and you only trim it 2-3 times... weight the costs and you will most likely win with the PGRs. There are also many other benefits to PGRs aside from the reduced top growth to think about as well.

6. tiedeman

from earth

I can understand large contracts or flat monthly fee contracts, I do agree with you there. But a charge of per cut I don't see why LCO's would use them. They would be hurting themselves

Yes, if I had a contract that was lets say, $12,000 per year, then I would use them to cut back on my time on the property and thus I would have more money in my pocket.