pH Adjustment w/o pH test

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by magicmike, May 9, 2013.

1. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if a customer doesnt want to pay for a soil pH test, what is a good rule of thumb for how many pounds per 1000 sq feet should be applied?

I am guessing every area is different so if anyone from the NY (long Island) area can answer I would appreciate it. But all comments are appreciated.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Usually people heard years ago that all the dirt in their area is either high or low pH and they make it a ritual to add something or other as part of their yearly routine... there is no rule of thumb except if you're in N. IL you don't put down ANY lime...
    If they insist on making the ground white, I think 1 ct.,,, 50# bag for every 3-5000 squ.ft. will make the ground white... :)

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Hope the soil is not already alkaline and showing excessive Ca, Mg, and carbonates. As for the soil testing, people pay me enough such that I can handle the cost of it easily. Only time I have charged for soil tests is if I have drawn a soil test and the client declines the service agreement.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know the pH needs adjusting without knowing the pH?

5. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

Usually heavy rain fall and fertilizers can the soil acidic so I'm guessing most lawns in my areas pH will need to be raised
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't guess dude, test. Even if you did know the pH, you don't know the buffer pH without a lab test.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have some.kelway meters I use as a guide but what kril said their usefulness is somewhat limited without knowing the buffer.
    but what they will do is tell me the active ph range and the active range is what the turf sees
    Posted via Mobile Device