ph and correction

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by germann, Dec 13, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We test our lawns ph with one of those meters you stick in the ground. Apply lime-quicklime-as necessary. We have clay soil. I know many of you suggest soil tests, etc, but we have found most people are not really that interested. They want the standard 4 or 6 step program. If the ph is low, we lime. The lawns look good 99 % of the time. We are usually lucky if they want lime at all, much less a soil test.
    Any comments on your experience with this. I am suggesting that in some markets this is a much more practical, affordable solution.(residential Home values of $150-400k)

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, if it works for you - go for it.
    I prefer to address the soil conditions in a way that can only be done through soil testing/sampling by a lab.
    In addition, my clients usually expect (and always pay for) this course of action.
    Also, the market I serve is from about $80K to about $3M - both residential and commercial

3. ph meter won.t tell which liming material to use and how much to apply?

one of the factors in quality turf is proper soil chemistry!

4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Do the soil test-It will give you exactly what you need

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

before my customers are started the fert/weed control program they MUST get a soil test done.

6. my clients have no choice, it's included in the price of my service!