PH and disease

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by brentlent, Aug 27, 2003.

1. brentlent

brentlent LawnSite Member

I've posted in reference to BP before, but I'm still having problems.

I realize having the correct PH is important in terms of the grass getting the N and other elements from the soil. However, how important is PH in fighting off disease such as Brown Patch.

I've followed the rules from a preventative standpoint.

1. Cutting at 3.75"
    2. Deep infrequent watering (I've only used my irrigation 5 times this whole year)
    3. Not over fertilizing in late spring, etc.

I've also done 3 applications of Compass and 1 of Banner Maxx.

and still, I've got BP. I know my PH is a little off and I need to lime. However, I was waiting until fall.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by minimizing the importance of the PH?

I know several people say with the correct program you don't need to use fungicide for BP. I would love to find this to be the case. However, we have had several weeks go by with rain at night and overnight lows still in the 70's. BP is everywhere.

I'm looking into using organics for the resistance they offer. Kirby... do they have a blend that will provide the 18-24-12 effect I typically use when overseeding?

Any ideas?

brent

2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Bayleton?

How much N have you put down?

3. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Just a thought, but here, with all the rain we had earlier this summer, lawns that were cut high, which we recommend for the summer, actually had BP worse than short lawns, just beucase of the excess moisutre and so many wet warm nights. Just something to think about.

We are fighting BP here too, I have lawns that I have treated iwth Fore and Bayleton and/or Eagle and some disease pressure is still evident. However, it has been greatly reducded, and we are hoping for a break in the weather soon....

EG

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

In new jersey, Rutgers cooperative extension puts out a report every year with there recommendations based on actual field trials. Excellent control for brown patch was obtained by the following fungicides: Azoxystrobin..HERITAGE (strobilurins) DACONIL Chlorothalonil (nitriles) CHIPCO 26GT Iprodione (dicarboximides) ENDORSE Polyoxin-D (antibiotic) And COMPASS Trifloxystrobin (strobilurins)

Banner got a: Fair to good raiting as preventive basis only.

Bayleton got a: Control is inconsistent between experiments, but performs well in some instances.

Make sure you rotate fungicide classes each application.

This year we made 3 apps. for brown patch
    #1 Heritage....28 days later....#2Chipco 26GT...28 days later.....#3 Daconil.

Very happy with results.....We recommend our clients mow at 3-3.5"

Hope this helps,
    Pete

5. turfsolutions

Pete,

I noticed you used heritage. I have read up on heritage and it seems to be a top notch fungicide. However the costs are very high, especially when you compare it to a bayleton. Just curious, how are you pricing your fungicide applications? And, are they an optional application or are fungicide aps standard in your program?

6. heritage

On lawns over 10000 sq ft we are charging $15 per 1000. This is an addendum application. On lawns under 10000 we charge $20 per 1000. We use the lowest recommended rate because it works so well and because we do a follow up application with chipco 26gt.
    These prices are for our contracted clients only......If you are doing this for a new customer or a one shot deal you should charge 3X what the material cost you plus stop fee and or labor.

Regards,
    Pete

7. turfsolutions

Pete,

$150 for 10000 square feet seems high for bayleton, however, for heritage, it seems about right. I haven't used heritage before, but have read great things about it, how are the results?

One concern I would have is selling these high end fungicide applications such as heritage as compared to lower end fungicide such as bayleton / daconil. What percentage of your customers sign up for these aps or is it all enclusive?

Thanks for the reply.

Kelly

8. heritage

Kelly,
    We do not do any all inculsive on fungicide apps. My company is a high profile company and I only sell the best possable results. Our clients don't seem to mind as much about the price....BUT they do expect top results from us and that is what we give them.

I think that your tank mix of bayleton/daconil is a broad spectrum mix but I would still be wary of fungi becoming resistant thus getting poor results over time. Rotate. I would sell the best possable programs to your customers....this way you won't be dealing with callbacks and you will be selling a higher level of professionalism.

Regards,
    Pete