PH and Lime

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by powerreel, Oct 16, 2000.

1. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Would anyone know the formula for bringing soil from 5.0 to a 6.5 ? How many pounds of lime per 1000 feet? Thanks!

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of soil do they have ? good soil or clay?

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What Ocutter asked and also, do you have Ca and Mg levels? Will determine what type of lime is needed

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

While the type of soil is important remember to never add more than 50lbs of lime per 1000 sq. ft.

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I am trying to ammend planting beds, the soil structure is mostly "potting soil".These are annual beds with boxwood, have soil test but not here can post results tommorow, really looking for formula for amount of lime per 1000K to raise a point,I am at 5 and want to be at around 6.5. Soil is active it just needs to ph adjustment. Thank you for help!

6. Ocutter

OK I have a sheet here that shows the acidity and the amount of limeto add to your soil.It assumes that you want to go to a neutral or close to neutral level. I'll use the Sandy loam and loam listings to narrow it down.If you have a pH of 4.8-5.1 to go to 6.4+ then you need to add 120 lbs per 1000 for sandy loam and 160 lbs for loam. It says that if your pH is below 5.2, the apps should be split to 2-3 aps over a 1-2 yr pd. These are based on pulverized lime apps by the way OK?

[Edited by Ocutter on 10-17-2000 at 10:51 AM]

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

May I have a copy of your sheet,Ocutter?

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

9. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Like mentioned above, you need to know what kind of soil it is.Fist determine weather it is a darker or light soil using a munsell color chart. if it has alot uf humas which most potting soil does,you need to determine the texture next. I am guessing it is probally a silt loam ,color 10yr3/2 at PH of 5, so you yould need 8 Tons/A to ge it up to 6.5. Soils with high humas, have a high CEC or cation exchange capacity, which buffers the soil, which makes it harder to change the PH. Sandy soils are easer to raise PH, but they can naturally go Acid more quickly. Go to Purdue Web site

http://www.agry.purdue.edu

Any thing you ever want to know about turf , soil

10. Ocutter

Powerreel- If you want I can send you one (snailmail only) My computer (webtv) cant support a scanner.

[Edited by Ocutter on 10-18-2000 at 04:49 PM]