ph levels

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Joey bag a' donuts, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for checking a soils ph level? I've seen some that are like a home science experiment kit and others with a gauge attached to a cord attached to a metal spike. What is YOUR meathod or what do you suggest is the best equipment for this?

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that would be cool...... somehing else for the bag of tricks.....

so you use lime if the ph is high, to bring it down? what do you use to bring it up... like a soda ash or something????

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You use sulfer or peat moss to lower the Ph say from 8.2 to about 8.0-7.9 is all thats realistic and its only temporary. To raise the Ph you add lime, I have no experience with low Ph or acidic soils but I would imagine the results with lime are also temporary.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

thanks...my only experience with ph is managing swimmung pools and spas..... there, we use muratic acid or ... co2 containers to reduce ph, and soda ash to raise. it....

6. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Cool, thanks for the link. What do you charge the customer for performing a soil test if you dont mind me asking?

7. 04silverado

04silverado LawnSite Member

If you have the time in advance. Your local agricultural extension office, they have them in every state, will have a soil test kit. You sample the top 8 inches of soil and send it to where ever they tell you to and you will get results in about a week or so. It will recommend the amount you need to raise or lower your ph. It may even be free but probably runs around 8 bucks.

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Lime is what to use if the pH is low its long term but takes awhile to go into affect.