Phazer 44"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drothgeb, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Drothgeb

Drothgeb LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a ZT in the 42-44 inch range and don't want to spend more than $4000. The Phazer 44" at 3999 seems to be a good deal but I'm not sure it's that much better than some of the cheaper brand residential ZTs. This is only for use at my house and I'm only mowing 1 1/2 acres. I'm a little worried about the build quality and the narrow wheelbase. Does anyone have any better suggestions in that price range?

2. Steelratt

Steelratt LawnSite Member
    from CNY

I looked at the Phazers, though I'm not sure that $3999 special is still going on, unless it's a discount your local store is giving you.

The feedback I got is that it is disappointing, which accounts for why the price has been discounted so heavily. I compared it to a Gravely 44Z, which seemed to be a MUCH better-built mower (issues with my dealer aside). For one thing, the Phazer uses IZTs instead of separate pumps and motors. I have seen mixed opinions on IZTs, but I think almost everyone agrees that separate pumps and motors are superior.

In that price range, the Gravely 44Z (a bit more expensive) and the Hustler mini-fastrack/fastrack seem to be popular choices.

EDIT: I bought my 44Z for personal use on a bit over 1 acre.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't let the guys who use mowers 600 hours a year steer you away from what is probably going to be a very long lasting mower if you are using it 30 hours a year or less. Some of these guys use commercial mowers more in a week than you would in a year, and the phazer is claimed to be commercial quality, certainly to the degree that they warranty it for 2 years of use. That'd be about 40 years worth for you. So they need the extra degree of durability and performance. You may not.

That said, spend more, you'll certainly get a better unit, and it may resell better which helps recoup some of the cost. But in 15 years nobody will want any mower you get all that much, as technology will have passed it by.

The deck on the Exmark Phazer is a fine one.