1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Phazer vs 34z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wecutgrass, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Wecutgrass

Wecutgrass LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking at these two mowers right now and i dont no what one to buy. the exmark phazer has a 19 kaw, and the gravely 34z has a 15 kaw. what one would be a better machine? thanks for any input.
  2. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I don't think they're making the Phazer any more. The 34Z is a great mower from what I hear. I have a 152z.
  3. Wecutgrass

ya I want to use a mower still in production. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. cvcook

cvcook LawnSite Member

They are not in production anymore, they're not even on Exmark's website.I've got one and was going to buy another this year, but my dealer told me they are discontinued due to not enough sales. I did my own research by calling numerous dealers. they all said the same thing, and the only ones you will find new are last years models. my buddy was lucky enough to find one a dealer that had one left over that was a demo with 30hrs about 120 miles away.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a used 34Z this summer. I have it set up for mulching, which works well. For the most part, it is a cool machine, but it is terrible on hills. No traction except straight up a hill.
  6. Wecutgrass

Well I don't have to worry about the hills because in new Orleans there is no such thing as a hill. And I'm going buy the wider tires to help it from rutting.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

Like binky said, they are not making the phazer any more. It's a shame that they are not. It's a really good mower. We own one. Got it back in 08. It has the Kawasaki 19 hp. If you can still find one at a dealer I recommend you grab it. When we were first looking at the phazer before we purchased we were thinking that a 19 hp engine for a mower that small was too powerful. But we took into consideration about the riders weight. The machine itself weighs around 587 lbs. And plus the rider. So the 19 kawi is perfect for it. And it cuts very well. Bags awesome and has plenty of power to mulch. The mulching job this machine can perform is unbelievable. We recommend you go with the phazer. You won't be sorry.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

phazer best 34'' rider hands down..
  9. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have to repectfully disagree. The phazer has transaxles while the gravely has a heavy duty pump and motor hydro system that has a higher top speed and much more acceleration than the phazer. The zt 2800 transaxles that the phazer has are used by many manufacturers in ther homeowner models. The gravely has a deeper deck which allows for higher mow speeds. The gravely has bigger rims which will accommodate wider tires. I have 20x10x10's on both my gravelys and they stick to hills like glue. Having tired both mowers, in my opinion its not even close. The gravely is a superior machine - hands down
  10. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree the 34z is superior .The 20x10x10 tires made a ton of difference in rutting and hill sticking along with a better ride.Thanks( a clear difference) for all your posts on the tire upgrades.There's a reason why the 34z weighs 200 lbs more then the phazer its just better built .Everything on the 34z is commercial quality.