Phenomenal growth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 15, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I often read on here of guys that got 20 or 40 customers in just a couple weeks’ time. I can see 20, but 40? Whats the secret to this great growth? I’d like to have about 25-30 more residentials in addition to what I have, if they’re the same size as what I have anyway (larger ones need less of) or the equivalent amount of work in commercial properties. I could go bid like crazy on commercials and bid low since I have no living expense but I prefer not to do that method! I like my residentials fine just need lots more of them. How do you all do this? Whats the best way to grow quickly? I don’t wanna start crews or anything, just want to have enough to need to turn down work or hire a helper.
    Thanks.
    Eric

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i often wonder myself how one can get 20-40 new clients in a season. i do alot of estimates each year, and land very few. i do know a guy though, that got 135 accounts in just one year. but, his average mow was $18, and he went under the following year. it seems to me if you are charging a good rate(not too cheap) it will take alot longer to grow

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

:p kind of what I thought. I have gotten around 20 new customers last year (03) but it took more than a couple weeks and at the end of the year I only had about 10 or 12 of them left. Several moved or quit for reasons not related to my business. My fliers did not have a great response and the weather was not good (cold and windy) right up to the time the grass took off, by the time I figured out my fliers weren't working well I put ad in paper, that worked pretty decent considering the ad was later than the grass growth and no time & labor to use that method of advertising.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Eric don't worry about how many you do it does not matter! I would rather do one job for $100 than ten jobs for $10 its still adds up to the same amount and the person thats willing to pay the $100 is gonna get the best job money can buy they won't complain and they won't want to drop me becuase I'm making enough $ that I can spend a little extra time to make everything just perfect before I leave.

Mac

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

True, but I just want more work either way ;)

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems like alot of it has to do with price. We had a guy here put flyers in the newspapers, most residential lawns $15.00 . You would see this guy everywhere but funny thing is the following year he dissapeared. I guess it just seems to me that if you grow to quickly more than likely your too cheap. I'm sure there are certain circumstances that would differ.

8. freepoint15

freepoint15 LawnSite Member

Best method of acquiring new customers for me has been through the use of doorhangers.Not only are they very afforable-they also allow you to target desired nieghborhoods.Grouping lawns as close together as possible is key.Do not under sell yourself with low bids-not only will you make little money,but also wear yourself out.Goodluck.

9. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

My first year I had around 40 accounts, but I live in a pretty well populated area and the surrounding area is well populated.Every year I run paper adds and put out door hangers(5,000).I have right around 85 accounts now, this is my 4 year in business.I think it depends on the population of your area.

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Ok my town is 39,000 people and almost 70,000 in the county. Whats my potential?