Phew I feel much better!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IMAGE, Mar 5, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

You know how stressed you get figuring bids and trying hard to find that price that will land them, but not wanting to go to low?

Well today I went and dropped off bids on 36 properties to one management company. I got to see last yrs winning bid, and the bids that have been submitted for this yr.

I am just higher then last yr, where they were $135 I am $150...

Best of all I am right in line with my competitors for this yr. And she commented how my bid sure "looked a lot nicer" (appearance wise) then everyone else, so I got to talk to her for about 10 min about how everything I do must be perfect... yada yada good conversation.

I actually think I landed the whole "sha~bang" by just dropping it off in person and talking to her. Of course I wont know until the 31st:hammerhead:.

And now I feel a whole lot more comfortable on pricing these next 200 properties I am working on right now... because now I know what going rates are in my area. :cool2:

PS. I didnt lowball anything. Yes I saw thier prices, but my prices were figured before hand using a (time)X(rate) method.

2. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

They got grass up there...

Good news!

Hopefully the property managers realize that lowballers are not the way to go!

3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good, good luck!!!

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Good Luck Steve

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Holy CRAP, 200 new bids... I would damn excited to bid on TWENTY new properties this spring :laugh:

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck!

7. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Steve, I know what you are talking about. I was super relieved when I walked out of the office from droppingmy bids off, but then the next day came and I want to know the results of them.

8. IMAGE

from midwest

Thanks Guys! It was such a relief to get that first set of bids completed, and to see that I was right on pricing wise. This is my first yr, starting from scratch!

I have 40 bids ready out of the 200 I am working on right now, I have about a week to finish them. - They all go to one management company.

I also expect to get about 50 more properties to bid on tomarrow from a couple more companies.

All in all I expect to place about 400 commercial bids. (well 400 addresses, sometimes 4 or 5 addresses end up in one bid). I am hoping for a 20-30% award rate. That will give me enough work for me and a helper 3-4 days a week, and allow me 1 day a week for residentials. Actually if I get enough resi's, from my spring advertising, I will send out a 1-2 person crew by themself to do them.

Oh and GPS-- Yes I hear ya man, I wish they would just tell us the day after bids are do who the winner is. Whats the point of waiting 2 weeks to a month after the due date to award them?

9. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Did you just go and talk to people to find out if they are accepting bids or what?? Im working on some bids right now.

10. IMAGE

from midwest

I sent letters. I called. I walked in and asked to talk to whomever was in charge of lawn care. I made friends with a fert company and he gave me some contact info for some of the condos and other places he sprays, and told me I could use him for a reference. I posted on craigslist. I told everyone and thier grandma I was starting a mowing business.

But first and formost, before I did anything. I got my insurance in order. I got my workers comp in order. Those will be the first things EVERYONE will ask about. They are requirements to even submit bids.

Although I hope to get about 75 of the addresses I am bidding on, realistically I could get none of them. So this is still just a crap shoot, so to speak. I wont know for sure for about another month how sucessfull it all was. But I do know that I will stick to it. This is just phase 1 (insert evil laugh):cool2: