philadelphia construction expo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirt Digger2, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

went to the philadelphia area construction expo today...wasn't too impressed, some of you guys would have liked it because they had a lot of mini stuff but i wasn't too thrilled. I didn't take any pictures but i did notice some things. The new Komatsu CTL is pretty nice, the gauges are right on the arm rests that fold down from the side so they are right in the center of your gut when you are sitting...i really don't care much for the entire CAT CTL in general (sorry bobcat ron) i wasn't too big a fan of the cab and the tracks seem like they would be more problems then not, seems like if you are carrying larger rocks they can get down in the rollers and do a lot of damage, i also don't like the track adjustment, if you blow a track off it will take a lot of time to loosen then and re-tighten. The JCB trackloader was neat, it had a side door on it because it is a single arm loader.

what really got to me was the new backhoe controls (JCB and DEERE had one there) where the joysticks are mounted to the swinging chair. I am a 3 stick Case man but am always willing to try new things but these bugged the hell out of me. You have to flip the steering wheel up before you can swing the chair around, and once you are around on the DEERE the back of the seat hit the steering wheel. I also don't like the fact that you can't use the hoe and loader at the same time while looking forward. and the left joystick is always there, so when doing loader work your arm would constantly be hitting it. I talked to the DEERE rep for a while and he said they did it because of customer demand...i would like to know what customers demanded that.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the armrest mounted controls are only with the Deere TMC (total machine control) models as far as I know. You can still get standard, pillar mounted pilot joysticks in the back for the hoe and use standard controls, which is what I'd prefer, or you can get wobble sticks and your beloved 3 lever. Except this new system is E/H and allows some pretty trick control, I think you can run the loader, shift gears, lock the diff, and disengage the tranny using the right joystick but I'm not 100%.

EDIT: Just went to Deere's website and looked at the interior pictures. No more floor shifter, so I believe you control the whole machine from the right joystick minus direction control. Pretty sweet, except I think the left one would get in the way.

3. Dirt Digger2

from PA

what really got to me was you can't use the hoe and loader at the same time...thats just stupid i think, and the fact you have to raise the steering wheel before you turn around, that would be ok if you are trenching all day but if you have to carry bucket loads of stone with the rear bucket for one reason or another it adds a lot of time

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Does the seat not slide to the rear a little then spin? Seems to be a really serious engineering flaw if you have to tilt the seat every time, that adds up.

5. Dirt Digger2

from PA

nope, the dealer said its a safety thing, you have to tilt the wheel up towards the windshield or else the right joystick will hit the wheel when you spin and you wont be able to spin around, and when i was in it the seat was slid all the way to the rear and when turned around the back of the seat was brushing on the steering wheel, a few hours like that i can see the fabric getting warn through...i told him it was stupid and he agreed, i've run a newer DEERE before (with regular pilot controls) and they are nice machines, but having to cycle the park brake on and off after start up is a dumb idea too

6. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

Your concerns about rocks in the Cat undercarriage are founded. they do no last in rock, not meant for that application. However, you can not de-rail that track system!, you will loose drive between the sprocket and the drive lug on the track before you can wind the track off. I have a lot ov experience with those undercarriages and never ever had to put a track back on because it fell off, they will jump a lug or stop driving before that happens.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Cycling the parking brake is stupid, I agree. I was on a 310SG about a month ago when I went back home for a few days, the place my mom manages was running out of places to put snow in the parking lot so they had me come in with a hoe and stack it. That damn parking brake, what a waste of time.

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

thats good to hear, i just didn't like how easily something could fall down into the rollers...you would think they would put some kind of cover on top of them...also on the tracks are those all rubber teeth or do they have steel inside them?...i felt one but couldn't tell.

9. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

the teeth are all rubber but the track has kevlar in it. Steel in tracks on high speed MTL's seperates from the rubber due to the heat from the bending around rollers. and does not last as long as kevlar.

10. Dirt Digger2

from PA

ausman you seem to know your stuff...is there an inner loop of kevlar that prevents the track from stretching?

our takeuchi has rubber between the metal "pads" on the inside of the track so the track is able to stretch, which can be a problem in the woods if you hit a small stump the wrong way it will actually stretch the track out, allowing it to pop off the front idler.