1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Phone Bill Scam - Beware!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by paponte, Nov 26, 2007.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Figured I would post about this online, since I myself have been scammed!!

Apparently I have been paying money, $29.95 a month to be exact... to a company called ILD TELESERVICES for about 2 years now. A company in which I do not conduct business with, nor receive any services from in any shape or form. How is this possible without my knowledge? They conveniently entered their charges on my Verizon Business telephone bill every month, a bill which gets paid religiously. Upon calling Verizon, they could not tell me what the charges were for, but could say it was a 3rd party vendor. 3rd party charging me on YOUR bill!?!?!? Absolutely... phone companies are considered a "PUBLIC SERVICE" since the are a necessity, and 3rd parties can bill whatever they would like on it. I also found out that another @sshole just recently jumped on board as of last month as well called DTZ DIRECTORIES. Apparently their a little nicer and are only trying to get $9.95 out of me per month. I find this absolutely amazing!!

Needless to say I had a 3RD PARTY BLOCK put on my account, and was told that it will 99.9% stop any further charges but to WATCH MY BILL for any unauthorized charges!

It's simply amazing how this happens legally, and after doing a web search on ILD TELESERVICES, I find I'm not the only one that took it. Just a heads up guys, especially if your not directly involved with paying bills. :angry::angry:
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I bet I can tell you what it's for. They just nailed me. I got a call a while back for a "free listing" in the "yellowbook.com" listings. This is an online business listing that s from the yellow pages directory company. Not the real ones, but the half witted ones - that list half of all the businesses (I immediately throw these books away as soon as they come - because they waste too much time). Anyway, yo get this ad for no charge for like 3 months...no obligation, you can cancel it at any time. The trick is, if you DON'T cancel it at the end of their free trial period, you are automatically billed for it - they don't contact you to ask if you'd like to continue. The only thing is...mine was about 50 bucks a month. NO THANK YOU.
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I got hit with one of those bum charges about a year ago. It was a company called Axcess Internet Solutions. I called the phone company and they took the charge off and told me I needed to contact the company telling them to stop charging me. I called the 800 number on the bill and it put me straight through to voice mail, no call back after 4 attempts to contact them. I did a search on the web and found out they apparently sold website templates for the amount they charged the phone bill. Now why would a company that makes web page templates be charging my phone bill for their products??? Go figure.
  4. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I quit using Verizon....tired of all their BS. I now use Vonage and couldn't be happier.
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm switching to Vonage this winter too.