Phone Book Ad Renewal Time

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So it's time to renew my phone book ad. Last year I went from a 2 inch with color ad to a 1/2 inch b&w ad. At the time, my partner had just quit, I was being overwhelmed with requests, had too much work, and didn't want to go through the same thing again this year. So I shrank my ad in hopes of slowing down my calls and demand.

Problem was, it worked. And between the time I renewed my ad and this year, I decided to grow, not stand pat. The new smaller ad did it's job, it slowed down my calls and demand. I have enough work for me, but I intended to hire people this year and grow, which didn't happen.

So, I'm back at getting a bigger ad this year. I know some people here haven't had an awful lot of luck with phone book ads, but I've always had great luck with mine. Once we went into the yellow pages, my need to advertise with fliers and door to door stuff went away. The phone book works well for me.

So this year, with the budget I have, my choices are to go back to the 2 inch in line ad, or go to a bigger display ad. Display ads are listed seperately, usually before the in line column listings. I'm not sure which I should go with. My thinking on this is this. When I look in the book, I ignore the display ads. I just want a phone # for a business, not all the extra advertising. Additionally, I've always thought that bigger ads in phone books equate to bigger companies, especially now that I know those rates! I don't always want the biggest company, and having that display ad isn't necessarily a good thing, imo. So I go to the in-column stuff, look for a business in there. But I'm not sure if that's me, or if everyone does that.

So, does anyone have any thoughts of in-line vs display? Which will give me the most bang for my bucks?

Thanks

Feel free to post pics of your ads, as well.

:D

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I don't have a YP ad,but I do use the YP's.I first look at the display ads.I like to see what types services or products someone has before I call,instead of having to call and ask if they do this or that,or have this or that.
    I might eventually look at the inline ads,but if I find someone with a display ad that has what I'm looking for,that's who I go with,

3. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

same here i always look at the display ads and when one says what i need then that is the one that i call. So it would be good to list a couple things that you do IMO.

4. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

I too look at the display adds first, but usually look at the name add as well, because that guy is probably going to be a little bit cheaper than the big display add guy.

How much does the big display cost? and
    How much does the 1 line name add cost? I am getting into this business and need to get something in the phone book, but dont want to spend alot of money

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. mtdman

I ended up getting what's called a 'leader ad'. It's a display ad that's placed at the front of the category. It's about 3 inches long, a column wide, in full color. Plus I get an ad in the smartpages.com, and keep my in column ad. That display ad was 80% off, too! Now I need to come up with a design!

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Good choice. If someone things a yellow page add costs "alot", well alot is a relative term. I have had people ask what a mower costs, and guess. What they think is almost insanly low.

8. lawnman_scott

The rates depend on how many copies are distributed. An add in Los angeles will be alot more than an add in rural Miss. But like mtdman my add has completly replaced my need to advertize in any other way.

9. mtdman

The 1/2 inch in line ad I have now goes for $57 per month. The 2 inch in line I had was around $250. The leader ad is supposed to go for $1200, but I'm getting it for $160 per month (yeah). The smarpages.com thingy goes for $20 a month. Altogether I'm getting 3 ads for $244 per month. That's probably more expensive around here than a lot of areas, but we have a pretty big phone book for our area. And, that's most of my advertising budget/means in that book.

10. lawnman_scott

well mine is a 2x3 inch display add i think. It costs $380 a month here. It is alot, but its well worth it.