1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Phone book advertising question...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nobagger, Mar 21, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Of those who use the phone book for advertising how well do larger ad's work. For the past few years we have been advertising in our local phone book but with only a bold one liner (name and phone #) with minimal results. We do a ton of work for a fert. company so we really didnt need to advertise. But latley the refferals they have been sending us are weak at best so now I see the need to do more for ourselves and not rely on some one else for customer's. The one liner is big bucks IMO, but a larger ad is quite a bit more but its worth it to me if it gets me decent, more-so commercial customer's than residential.
  2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know how much you are paying, But I paid somewhere arround 470 for the year for like a 1" by 1". I Have gained a few customers for it. Last year was my first year, and it didnt come out until June. We will see how it goes this year. The two calls I have gotten this year so far are from the PB. I say go for it. I dont know if you need a huge 6" x 6" but maybe just a smaller one.
  3. TKO Landscaping

TKO Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

From my experience with the phone book I usually get more work from residential than commercial. It is pricey for the larger ads. Its $121 a month for being listed under one heading and $158 for two (Yellow Book). I use a quarter colunm ad. In the Verizon phone book i pay $42 a month for one section of our county for one heading and its $84 for two sections (i also use a quarter column ad). I usually get more work fom people that just moved in and don't know anyone in the area from the phone books. Also you may have missed the deadline for getting put in usually they mail them starting in May. Hope this Helps
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a one liner ad in one book. $ 168 a year
    A 1/8 of a page ad in a smaller book. $ 550 a year
    A 4 color ad in a county book. $ 168 a year

The first and third ad are bell south yellow pages and the second ad is a privately owned company. With these ads I cant keep up with all of my phone calls. Each ad has paid for itself many times over.
  5. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

6. mythntr

mythntr LawnSite Member

we have several dex ads and they are well worth it. You can customize the payment plan to reflect when the money is coming in. We dont pay in dec., Jan, Feb., and march.
  7. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

I don't know about you guys but when I look in the yellow pages for anything the ads I look at first are the picture ones descrbing their work unless I already know who I'm looking for but like last night I was looking for a company to sub out some fertilizing I only got the numbers that advertised it in their ad the one liners I didn't call due to time and wasn't sure what they offered. hope this helps
  8. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I would try other forms of advertisement before you go bigger with the phone book, I mean the phone book works but it keeps you tied up for 12 months and its the same 132.30 for us every month for the one book, and then you have the other two books that would be another few hundred to have your ad in those books. How do you know what book to choose? Which book are your customers looking at. I would run ads in the local paper, with some kind of call you auction, like have something in the ad thats makes the people that see your add get up off their butts and give you a call. Skill keep you ad in the book so that if people see your trucks out working they can go to the book and see you number.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

10. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

Thanks for clearing that up:) Just a small point to make in the Erie area bigger ads don't bring in better or bigger accounts. as far as advertising small
    repetitive ads in small papers are the best to start,the phone book ads are a costly addition to the budget that don't always pay off. :waving: