Phone Number on Truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tiedeman, Nov 15, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Why it sometimes does not pay to have your phone number on the side of the truck:

I got a horrible phone call from a guy today basically telling me to slow down or he is going to call the cops. So I start going back over my day on Monday where I was at, and not a particular spot pops up that I can think of where I was speeding at. Probably just some old guy calling to complain because he can't afford to pay for a clean up
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I found that putting a phone# on my vehicles attracted IDIOTS
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I took the phone number off of my trailer. Now, I have a smaller sign on my trucks, so if the people want the number, they can come up close and get it. I too, noticed it attracted people I really didn't want.
  4. tiedeman

from earth

Well, I think that he got the number from the back of the trailer. It's finally, because I just put that sign on about 2 weeks ago, and now I got a stupid phone call
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I got an interesting one the other week. I was parked at a school doing some work and had just loaded up when my phone rings, I answer it and lady explains she wants a leaf cleanup price. So i agree to meet her at her house in an hour and a half. I got their early to check out the work before dark and she pulls in. It turns out she was parked right behind my truck and trailer and read it as i put up the gate.
  6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i dont have a sign on the back only on the sides i'm hoping to get one for the back in a month or so just didn't feel the paying $350 for the sign
  7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never had a number on my truck for all those reasons.
    I also used to have guys working for me years ago and there was one idiot who would yell stupid things to women as they were driving. When I found out he was fired on the spot, but I never got any stupid phone calls about it at least (the other guys ratted him out, they never liked him I guess.

The best part about no number is that I feel free to yell f-u, or ahole, or filp people off that suck at driving or are otherwise moronic. Glorious freedom. Plus I don't want any more accounts and don't want to advertise.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I paid $85 for my 24x36", its .080 alum, w/ rounded corners. i got one for the side gate also

i also have a 12"x72" banner that just says "LEAF CLEANUP" and my phone number which i put on starting 10/15 and don't take it off until the first snow. It works good too.

9. tiedeman

from earth

that is sharp looking. Where did you get that done at?
  10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

A sign can attract unwanted calls. What about prank calls?