Phone number woes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pagefault, Apr 22, 2005.

1. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how I managed to forget about this. I was trying to get a "good" phone number. I thought about getting one that spelled something, but I always hate trying to dial those. So, I thought I'd get 392-2222, or 754-4444, or 396-9696, or, well, you get the idea.

So, I went through the reverse lookup and marked off all of the numbers that were listed. Then, I called a bunch of the others and marked off all of the ones where someone answered or I got voicemail or a machine. I apologized for bothering the people who answered, of course.

Armed with a few dozen decent numbers and called the phone company. "Is 392-2222 available?" "No sir, it is not." "OK, how about 754-4444?" "No sir." You know how this went for 25 or more numbers, so I won't list them all.

Finally I asked the lady how she supposed it could be that all of these numbers were taken, but when I called them I got a recording saying that the numbers were not in service. That's when she explained to me that most of them were for outgoing calls only.

"You're telling me that all of the good numbers are assigned to companies who are only using them for outgoing calls?" "Uh, yeah, it looks that way. 392-1111, 2222, 3333, 4444 and all the rest in the series are all assigned to XXXXX company for outgoing calls only."

HOLY CRAP! Who makes these decisions????

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I wanted 5296 which spells LAWN. normally the phone company charges for personalized numbers so I just told them I want to match my cell phone (lie) and was that number available. WE have several different first 3 digit numbers to choose from and she found one that worked in my area. You might try changing the first 3 numbers if possible. The first 3 digits I ended up with was originally for the next town over, but has been Incorporated into my area. Most people in my immediate area have 398 and I got 397. I am in the county between the two cities, but we have about 7 different first 3 numbers (I think these are called prefix's) to choose from.

I ended up only using the LAWN part on my truck for people needing to remember it. Other then that I refer to it by numbers only. We have the prefix 222 in my area, so I wonder who has 222-2222. That would be a cool number. I have a customer with 234-4444. I hope it's legal to post numbers. I didn't provide the area code. But If the moderators know then please remove the last number if it violates a law/rule.

The one thing you might be missing is big business with multi lines such as 100's of lines. I know my wife works at an insurance claims office were every worker has their own line (but these are 2 way lines) that all have the same number except for the last digit or two. Some might consider these extensions unless calling out.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Soupy,

Great story. I like the phone number you got too.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How's about 244-7482? Spells...BIG PITA... :p Poke some fun at your customers.