Phone "RINGS" and its not a customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Sharks, Mar 10, 2008.

?

Do you get a lot of calls from people wanting you to buy or donate money?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. NO

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting sick and tired of people calling my business phone trying to sell me something or to get me to donate money for different charitys.. I have alway been the guy who donates money to the red cross the Police athletic league ,all kinds of kid cancer research institutes and donated time & money to help churches & needie people..Ect .Ive helped more than others Peroid! well since i started my business i had so many calls from different people and i have been donating money and the calls seem to double so i started to tell all of them to put me on a no call list that i am not donating anymore...So today i get a call today from a place that accept donations for kids that have cancer and ive talked to these people id say 5 to 6times telling them please take me off your call list. well this guy calls again and i say i have spoken to your people many time about taking me off your call list and he says very politely "Ok Sir" well if you had talked to me i would have taken you off Sir because we dont want to bother anyone who likes to watch children die.... i paused...and said yep i do enjoy watching children die..yup you figured me out!! NOW let me speak to your supervisor ...he hung up on me. and their calls show up 90% of the time as UNKNOWN so i cant even call them back to raise hell...this bothers me so much. I have 2kids of my own that i love very much and i have always cared for children. I just cannot imagine people resorting to comments like this to use as a SALE pitch.. I sorry this is so long i had to vent!!!!!!! My question to you all is have any of you had simular proplems?

2. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

That sux. I haven't had that type of call but since charities are exempt from the do not call list they can do what they want it seems.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I get em all the time , just hung up on a customer 3 times because it came in as unknown.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I just had the unknown call come in a few minutes ago as well. I don't answer them. The one that has really ticked me off is the yellow pages. I have told them 4 times that I don't want to advertise with them. They target the wrong people for me! Too many tire kickers and too broad of a market and it is a waste of my money so stop calling me!!!! They just keep calling and I keep yelling at them.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't answer calls that come in as unknown or a known ficticious number. If its important they will leave a message. Anymore you can't tell if the charity is real or false. I only give to local charities or orginizations who I pick. I average two or three charity calls a week and at least a couple a day wanting me to buy something from them.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My girlfriend has diabetes , I have given to them in the past , now it seems they are in my mailbox every week.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

8. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

I think charities are exempt from those lists.

We also gave to the Diabetes charity and they call and mail a slew of stuff our way.

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason i answer them is because i have got new customers from UNKNOWN callers on my phone.And i dont want to take a chance of losing a potential customer. I belive that if you have to leave it up to someone to leave a message wanting service from you that they will probley call some one that will answer. But that not always the case because i cant always answer the phone (i cant hear it) when im working...So what it going to boil down to is (Im dammed if i do and dammed if i don't)

P.S. I can usually tell where the calls going to be headed by the way they ask for me! it starts out with can i speak to "my last name" they never call me say can i speak to Mr. "My last name" so by this time i state i want to be taken off the list of name you have paid to harrass... but im just going to be a jerk to them from now on.thanks for replys....keep'em coming

10. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member