Phones... Blackberry vs Blackberry!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bill8379, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having trouble deciding what phone to get. It's a blackberry 8830 vs a blackberry 8130.

The 8830 has a full size keyboard, syncs with office and is $500 with a 1 year agreement (I don't want a 24-36 month agreement). But this phone has no camera, but I think that might be ok.

The 8130 is cheaper ($350 with 1 year agreement), it has camera and video, not sure about outlook syncing though even though I've read hours of reviews. It has a screwed up keyboard (two letters per key).

They both have MP3 which is very important to me, I want to plug in and put ear buds on under sound protection and still hear the phone ring. Maybe I will try sound isolating or sound canceling ear buds.

I don't want to under buy or over buy, any oppinions on THESE two phones?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have something else (but I wont pick it over the TWO YOU WANT TO PICK FROM) I hate when people do that. I would take the one with the better keyboard if your going to do any amount of thyping on it.

The one that syncs with office could be good. If you have estimate/contracts on office you will be able to have them on your phone, and could print them out via bluetooth right on the spot. That is what I do with my phone, it lookes alot better than some other peoples estimate sheets that I have seen.

3. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 8130 Pearl thru US Cellular. It will sync with Outlook, I do not use it but I know it will.
    The 8830 does have the full qwerty key board and the 8130 has the Suretype keyboard. The Suretype is neat, it will predict the word you are typing by just tapping the key the letter is on 1 time instead of a multitap like texting on a regular phone. There are some words that can be spelled by the same key, so sometimes you have to choose the correct one. It "learns" the most used words by you and automatically shows that word first in that occasion.
    For instance to spell "not" uses the same keys to spell "boy". if you choose the word "not" more times than "boy" it automatically predicts "not" when you type those keys.
    Also if you are spelling a long word like lawnmower, after you type the first part of the word, it will predict you are typing lawnmower and you can hit enter and not have to type the word completely out.
    If you plan on lots of typing, i would suggest the 8830. For a few emails and notes, the 8130 would work. It is much easier to use once you get the hang of it.

You might check how much the early cancel fee is compared to the savings on a 2 year contract. Sometimes it is worth it to get the reduced price of the phone and pay the additional cancel fee if you want to cancel early or get a new phone.

The mp3 is really cool. I have a 1 gig card in mine and you can go up to a 4 gig right now. There are talks of 8 gig! My 1 gig was $20 at best buy.

You don't need a text message plan or picture message plan if you have a Blackberry. You can email text and pics for free to other phones. I get free incoming text and pics, so you might not be able to receive free though. Other phones could always email you texts and pics.

Check out crackberry.com and also the forums there. very helpful site.

4. bill8379

I've read that and I think about that. Not sure what kind of printer you guys would have, I'm assuming it would be in your truck... on batteries?

Yeah I'm going to go through that site, thanks. One thing that caught my eye about the 8130 is the 3.5 mm ear jack while many phones have a 2.5 mm jack and then you need an adapter to use the majority of head phones.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have an hp460. Only $249. It has a battery and I have a cheap power invertor to run it if it runs low.

6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 81309(Pearl) and hate it!!!!! I have had several PDA and Smart phones and have hated most of them. Here are my thoughts on strengths and weaknesses:
    Strengths: Compact, synchs with Outlook (Critical to me), fairly loud ringer, miniature keyboard works well with selective typing, tends to keep my minutes down due to poor sound quality - I hate to talk on it
    Weaknesses: sound quality (terrible background noise), calendar only shows half day increments, not very configurable, constantly dialing last number due to sensitive buttons (has key lock but don't always remember to use it), contact management not very robust, prone to locking up - battery removal can be difficult if you have large hands, phone not as good as dedicated phone and PDA not as good as dedicated PDA. Because the keyboard is a QWERTY, you can not dial a phone number based on the spelling i.e. 1-800-XXX-YYYY, you would get a totally wrong number due to the letters not corresponding to those on a normal phone pad.

As I stated I have had several of these types of phones and the only one I have liked at all was my Cingular 3125. It was not an impressive looking phone, but it worked great and was very functional in every way. It would actually change the ringer to vibrate if the calendar showed that I was in a meeting. It had a flip so there were no accidental calls, the sound quality was great so my minutes soared (bad), the contact management was amazing, I could get to a number almost instantly from among over 1000 contacts that I have stored. As you typed it would pull up a list of possibile contacts based on either the number or the corresponding letters. Boy do I miss that phone.

7. bill8379

hmmm... I also read at crackberry.com that you can't edit documents and they auto delete a lot of things when you run below 2mb of memory. Some people have thier call history deleted several times a day.

I actually have a dedicated PDA, a really good one, a Dell Axim v51. But it's stuck with Windows Mobile 5, no upgrades coming since they stopped making PDA's.

I was really hoping to do all in one. I carry a voice recorder (don't use it too much except when I'm driving and the phone rings) a mp3 player, a digital camera (keep it in the truck) and Outlook printed on paper as well as a PDA. And a pad of paper in my pocket.:laugh:

The more I read about these blackberry's I think I might opt for a cheap phone with no outlook or excel, just mp3 and phone.

8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

How are you sending docs right to your HP printer from your phone with Bluetooth? I have the same set up and was on the phone with HP, Verizon and Motorola and they all said the phone couldn't bluetooth directly to my printer, it has to go into a laptop/desktop computer and then to the printer.

I have the motorola Qm9 w/window 6.0 and the hp460 with a battery and bluetooth card. I was able to send some things from calender or task to the printer, but no docs or emails.
    Thanks

9. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Blackberrys dont have a windows program to let you used Micr office. I had one for about 6 months and went back to a windows op system.....SO much nicer.b

Web browsing on the BB also is not nearly as nice either.

10. bill8379

Why don't they put that in their adverstising, lol.

I would also like Windows Mobile 6, I'm so pissed that my PDA can't be upgraded to windows mobile 6 since I use office 2007 and their docs use a new format. Office 2007 and Windows mobile 5 are not compatible.:dizzy: