Phones for employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GraZZmaZter, Aug 6, 2003.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about hooking my Nextel phones up.

When they were hooked up before, i gave them to my guys and would go in half on the monthly bill. If they went over on minutes they payed for ALL of that. What do you think of that compromise?

How do you handle this?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I pay the total bill for full time employees. But if they go over the minutes then they have to pay the extra charges. It works out great and they love having a phone for personal use as well
  3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

It is a nice way to keep in touch with your crews. How many different crews are you running?
  4. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Are those the phones that double as Walkie talkies?
  5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I had an employee run up a cell phone bill over $800. and quit just before I got the bill. Never again. They can get their own phone and I will pay an agreed monthly amount.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes they are two way

the way to solve the issue regarding the $800 bill is have them sign a policy on it. That is what I have all the guys do. So if I do have to take them to court for anything I have a policy that they signed and it was witnessed by a third party.
  7. All the employee Nextel phones only have emergancy 911 phone feture and that's it, they can't call anyone on my phones.

Also cell phones are not allowed while at work.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I give my employees a nextel with full service. Its nice to always be able to get in touch with them either out in the feild or at night to tell them to come in late/early or not at all do to weather. My guys have never abused the situation.
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I do as LGF is doing.

And I get the phones back at the end of the day.
  10. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I believe you can also limit the useage on Nextel phones. So you could set them up with say 300 mins and if they use all 300 the phone won't call out until the new billing period.

Someone correct me if thats not true :)