Phosphorus

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No I wasn't. That honor goes to WBO.

The first and most important lesson to learn with organics is patience. We strive to achieve a natural balance between plant and soil and "overnight" results are neither expected or desirable.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I read through this one...

It would appear that they measured some leaching through the soil after applying P. I didn't get a lot about how much of their applied amount ended up going through.

My question of this particular method of experimenting is - How much P leaches out of a soil that does not have fresh applications?

Evidently the Starter fert apps. can and will lose some of the P. - but - will soils lose P that has been there at least one season?

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I don't believe there is a definitive yes/no answer to this ..... too many variables.

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The answer is no. P will only move unless soil moves. It does not leach into groundwater like N can. It is rather insoluble and does bond with Fe and Ca. A couple articles in the "Green Side UP" supports my statement. So the ban on P in lawn fertilizer will not improve water quality. So add more P without guilt.

5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

we can agree to disagree, though most phosphates leach less compared to nitrogen ion's, there are some phosphate's such as ammonium phosphate that are highy soluble in water.

here's a picture from wiki, the phosphorus cycle. notice the part that says
    water column? plants need P in a soluble form phos cycle.jpg

phos cycle.jpg

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It might be a good idea to review the linked literature before making a post like this.

7. Smallaxe

This is exactly what I discovered during my Stinky Lake Syndrome research a couple of years ago. The gov't however has the agenda of outlawing P in lawn ferts, right here in Wisco. But will not acknowledge the dead leaves and muck contibute to the problem every fall, and the DNR intimidates anyone who would clean up the shoreline.

The link that I read indicates the P does move through the soil and they are collecting the leachate at the bottom of their samples. Done in England.

This experiment they added P, then let the rain wash it through. I would like them to skip a year of adding P and continue collecting the drainage water. That would give us a more complete picture.

Perhaps the truth is out there. I found that the Asian world had some of the best, thought through experiments, of all the abstracts I read.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Read the last link. The control (treatment A) had no applied P but showed the highest leached P in the loam and clay soils.

9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

after reading the links kiril posted this morning i thought was interesting was how organic P sources can leach just as much as some of the inorganic phosphates? and how much the soil's chemical,pH, biology presents, physical make up and how much water the site receives effects P leaching, it's a soil specific issue but P leaching does occur. inorganic and organic P contribute both to the problem. i thought was interesting too was if a soil is already saturated with P? and or the soil doesn't absorb P easily? that surface run off is a major problem.

10. Smallaxe

Thanks, I will do that.