Phosphorus

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Jun 25, 2009.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Not just any molecule. CEC is a measure of the "Positive" (cations) molecule, and how they are Adsorbed and not Absorbed by the "Negative" (anion) nutrient molecules. Adsorbed being that the molecules are attached on the outside of the negative molecules where thay can be easily detached, rather than being absorded, where s they are surrounded by negative molecules and rather hard to dislodged for plant uptake. To many negative results in a absorbsion of Cations, rather than adsorbsion and to many Cations, will result in absorbsion of Anions, whereas a correct balance of Cations and Anions will result in more readily availability of both types of nutrient molecules.

Hydrogen being the major acid causeing Cation where the positive charge of the hydrogen molecule is used to dislodge the other positive charged molecules from the negative molecules. Further, as hydrogen is found in abundance in water solutions, this same hydrogen molecule is used to exchange negative nutrient molecules with the plants. Ph being one measure of how much hydrogen is in the soil.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Great additional comments - A little more detailled than my 'simply put' context. :)
    2 followups.

Are all nutrients anion molecules?
    Is compost mainly positively charged Cations, due to it high Carbon content?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No

No, and I am not even sure where you are going with this.

5. Smallaxe

Kiril,

What are the exceptions?
    Why does compost have a lot more CEC than regular topsoil?

There are too many factors - to be sure... One example - simply put - is useful. :)

6. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

kiril, thanks for the new link, great info...!

smallaxe, if you read kiril's link and link to the other links/pages there it explains why some clay's have more CEC then others, if you look at OM, and it's humic fraction it becomes sort of more
    obvious why humus has more CEC then clays, it's not just the carbon, think oxygen and hydrogen too for that matter

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i find interesting how pH is such a major factor on what type of phosphate is in majority in solution and how water soluble some phosphates can be at different pH

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Exceptions to what???

It doesn't necessarily have more. Remember OM has pH dependent charge/CEC, and it increases at a faster rate than clay as pH moves towards neutral.

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I think I know what you are looking for, and think I have some good and bad news. I am working on a reply, but it might take a few days to get it all together.

10. Smallaxe

:laugh: The train has derailed. :laugh: