Phosporus/AM Fungi

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Smallaxe, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

This is an interesting thought experiment that introduces a lot of confounding factors. Maybe we could add to this research conclusions from several universities that found more P in runoff water from unfertilized soils than soils where P was added at 10# actual P/M for successive years.

Research has shown us that P doesn't move quite like other nutrients move and that mass flow doesn't have the same effect on P as it does on other nutrients.

There's a reason Auburn's Beth Guertal calls P "nature's slow release fertilizer."

2. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

Give Kiril a fair chance to respond to my response where I provided evidence to support my claim as he has added evidence to support his.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What does your area have to do with any other area? You made a broad ranging statement regarding P in soils, I questioned your conclusion and rightfully so.

Let's be clear about something here. I didn't bring the "issue" up, axe did, now in two different threads. I am merely demonstrating that statements made here are far from accurate, which is what you typically get in an axe thread.

Now let's really be pragmatic. Use soil tests and observed plant response to determine nutrient need, not a "let's put it down because everyone else does" type of management program.

By all means post the research. While we wait .....

http://turf.unl.edu/pdfcaextpub/TurfP.pdf

http://www.usga.org/turf/green_section_record/2007/nov_dec/phosphorus.pdf

4. Victorsaur

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-551.html

Check phosphorous and calcium. My so called broad ranging statement was really just pointing out that your broad ranging statement was invalid because the soil in my area is actually low in P.

Not only this article but volunteers at the local cooperative extension which gives free soil tests also state most soils around here are lacking in P. And there is the physical evidence which I have provided.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What broad ranging statement would that be? Provide a quote victor.

And again, what does any of this have to do with soils from around the country/world?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

BTW ... since you apparently feel it is appropriate to use the above as guides for your fertilizer program, ...... from your link since you apparently missed it.

A soil test is the only way to determine if phosphorus, potassium, calcium, or magnesium must be added or if a pH adjustment is needed. Without a soil test, any application of fertilizer could be detrimental to the landscape. Over application or application of unneeded materials could result in salt injury to plants, cause nutrient imbalances unsuitable for plant growth, and is environmentally unsound.

What does the above mean? Fertilizer need is determined on a site by site basis.

7. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

You were one of the posters who summarily dismissed all my research links because one of them was a golf turf link. Then, you post a putting green link to bolster your position about heavier soil lawns. Interesting .... :hammerhead:

However, this following publication is only the first that comes to mind on the topic:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20048316

Phosphorus runoff from turfgrass as affected by phosphorus fertilization and clipping management.
    Journal of Enviro Quality
    Bierman et al., 2009

"Total P runoff from the no fertilizer treatment was greater than from treatments receiving fertilizer."

I'll post others when I get some time.

BTW, it sure would be nice to have a conversation with someone who understands soils and doesn't berate others over things he does not know.

8. Victorsaur

I'm really not sure why you keep implying that I don't test soil when I've already told you that my information is based on multiple soil tests from the local Master Gardener cooperative extension. Can we stay on topic Kiril?

My point is this: Phosphorous is a viable, valuable fertilizer to apply. It is severely lacking in certain soils in certain parts of the world. Also, when it is correctly applied it is generally not a danger. I've provided evidence to support the first claim and trust what those employed by the state have informed me of enough to say the second.

From my point of view, you point is that phosphorous is such a dangerous fertilizer to apply that nobody should apply it, correct?

My response to your point was that whether this statement is accurate or not, people will continue to apply the fertilizer because many people in this world don't care. So you being "right" won't convince people to change. If this conversation doesn't aim to find a realistic solution then what are we wasting our time for?

EDIT: Ditto what Skipster said. You are fairly condescending for not knowing very much about the topic being discussed. I'm here to educate myself and others, not to "win" an argument.

9. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't dropped out. I'm watching how it plays out. There's enough being discussed for me to avoid argument. Hats off everyone.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This has turned into a argument, so time to move on and close this one:waving:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.