Photo copy checks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bob, Dec 19, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Do you think that it would be a good idea to have one photo copy of every customers check. This way if theres a problem in the future, you'll have their banking info.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Been doing it for close to 10 yrs now, and would not ever quit.
    It will help you with your billing if ever there was a question of clients paying, just look. And if it should end up in court it show that they made payment so they can't claim it was not done or done properly. It's so easy so why not do it. IMO

Mac

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always copied all checks that come in and stapled them to a copy of the invoice in my book. I also keep index cards on all my customers showing all services they have received. IMO, yes it is a very good idea to do this.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I used to do this for the first 4 years of business. Then I kinda stopped, but started copying to disc the checks. It is good to have copies of who's sent money, etc. And, it comes in handy if you are ever asked to prove your income. It's come in handy when buying a vehicle, renting apartments, and when I bought my house last year. For some reason you can show creditors all the paper trails in the world trying to prove you are legit, but when you show up with a stack of check copies dating 8 years back, you're golden.

:D

5. I keep a copy of their check on file with the agreement, then check for changes beginning of each year. Good info to have if you have to collect.

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a neat idea ... but if there is a problem with the check (it bounced) wouldn't it come back to you? .... I like QB to track all income info & related customer history of services, invoicing & payment ....

On a large install jobs I think that is a good idea to go with the contract & history of the job ....

But as I think of it fore those whom send contract renewals each spring ..... it is very good book keeping to have atleast a copy of the 1st check each year n than a copy of the last before your season ends

As I really don't have a "new season" we cut year round n don't have the issue of a break during winter

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Bob,

Yes I think it is a good idea.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I used to keep copies, then it became a task for the amount of paperwork storage and adding to office expenses for ink and paper.

Who knows, we have been thinking about bringing it back and storing it in a seperate server for paperless data.

9. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about every check you receive all year long? I couldn't imagine copying and storing all those checks.

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I did that in a doctors office that i once worked for.

All the day's checks would be laid on a copier together and reduced to fit onto a standard 8.5x11 page (sometimes multiple pages were needed).

We would then file that copy with the other reports of that day.

I do not do that currently for my business only b/c i do not have a scanner or copier. However if i did make copies i would only do that weekly when i do all my records.