Photo Geeks - Advise Please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Aug 28, 2007.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a job I did last week. As you can see the 3 up-lights on the garage look too bright. In real life they don't have hot spots. I have an a non-professional camera that doesn't have raw format and all the jazz. It is an Olympus-Stylus 500. I have spent some time to find out how all the applications work. From my experimentation only three function aid me in night photography. What seem to work are: 1) Scene setting to night time
    2)Exposure compensation there are 13 levels - (+2, +1.7, +1.3, +1, +0.7, +0.3, 0, -0.3, -0.7, -1, -1.3, -1.7, -2)-I always have it on -2; 3)White balance-I just discovered this function last night it is pretty cool you can change the shade of color in the photo I will use this function more in the future. I tried the other functions they don't seem to help. Is there any way I can take a photo of this job without the hot spots on the garage? Other functions I have are: AF Mode that shoudn't help with anything; Metering-I can't figure that one out "ESP"?; ISO Sensitivity-this functions seems like it should help but I didn't see a real difference; Histogram-????? This fall I am taking a Photography class at the local community college. Some day I will get this photo thing figured out.
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx.com

burgess-small.JPG

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Ned-
    Send me the photo and i can touch it up for you. My creative director can tone it down on his computer.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

lil off topic ... how did you get the wires in and what light did you use on the garage area.

On the cam note... I didnt spend a fortune on my cam but its alot better than the point and shoot. At this point its definatly more me than the cam.

Also looks like you took the shot a bit late. Try going a bit earlier. Read steve parrots article on the cast website.

4. NightLightingFX

Billy,
    Regarding how I got the wires positioned. On the garage on the ground there was a space under the wall and the driveway concrete I was able to hide the wires at. At the garage door opening I ran the wires in the expansion joint. I chipped out some the asphalt cardboard stuff then laid wires in sealed it with this silicon type substance that works on all surfaces asphalt plastic etc. don't know the name off hand. Then brushed the asphalt chipped stuff back over the expansion joint - looks the same as before. The fixtures under the eaves I used screws and zip ties to secure the wire as close to the lip of the end of the eave as possible. The down light fixtures are "Clarolux." The up light on the garage are from "Lightcraft" out of Chatsworth CA. I am sure some of you my criticize me for using them. They have some decent stuff but also cheap stuff. If you buy from them you have to monitor every order. They screw-up a lot. However, they always make it up to me. Obviously the reason why I use them is based on cost, not to mention they try their best to take care of me. I really like Clarolux HOWEVER, FYI I just found a flaw in their Venice fixture which were my down lights. The sockets in the fixture are actually secured to the lead by screws. I was getting a short out on the the roof system of this house I figured out that the spring in the fixture that help keep the lamp close to the end of the fixture made contact with the screws and was shorting out my system. Thank God my trouble shooting narrowed down where the problem was coming from without too much work and the the fixture was around back where I had easy access. If it would have been in the front, That would have been a real pain in the A$$. I personally feel time of day is a debatable issue regarding photos. From what experience I do have I know taking the photo earlier would have still had hot spots. I have corrosponded with Tom Williams on this topic also he insist it is not the camera's fault but the designers. I am going to go out and try some more positioning and wattage and lens combinations and then see what the camera picks up.
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx.com

5. NightLightingFX

Oh yah, I forgot,
    This was the job I used the "Sidewalk" sleever to go under the sidewalk. The rocks and gravel made it a real *****.
    ~Ned
    www.nigthlightingfx.com

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Ned.. I am familiar with clarolux and my experience with them is far from acceptable. I used 3 of thier path lights on a job where the client had done some research and requested these specifically. I talked them into subbing the Kichler bullets in place of the claro bullets.

If they screw up orders and you gotta watch em then trouble shoot new lights they really are not saving you money like you think they are. I urge you to check out the copper knights from unique for your uplights. About the same cost but zero issues. Also Kichler has some choices that are even less expensive than what you used and are a fair quality light.

The lowest cost light isnt always the cheapest.

Thanks for the info on the wiring. I have one similar to this scenario soon but we will be able to pre wire before the drive is poured and recess in some kim vaults or unique novas.

7. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Billy, I have a Clarolux Gardenia sample path light. Which did you install and why dont you like them or what problems did you have with them?

8. NightLightingFX

Billy,
    For the record. Clarolux has been great, I really haven't had any problems with orders or products until that little insident. Personally I like Clarolux's bullet-Venice a lot better than the Unique's Copper Knights. It is Lightcraft that will drive you crazy with screw-ups. Like I said Lightcraft has tried hard to make-up for their screw-ups. There is no doubt you get what you pay for. It has evolved that there are certain fixtures of Lightcraft I use, Clarolux, Garden Light, and Unique through Terradek. Terradek is my main distributor so what ever I can't get etc from the just mention resources I get from Terradek. I get all my transformers now from Terradek. Billy I totally know what you are saying. I am experimenting with different resources. My experience is telling me exacually what you are telling me.
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx.com

9. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ned, Terradek is my main distributor also. I have been calling so often lately I'm sure they are almost sick of me. Great bunch of people there. On the other hand I have made some purchases from Clarolux too just misc items. I think Lindsay with that sweet accent could sell ice to an eskimo!

10. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

do you have the number...I want to hear this!