Photo of fake grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eakern & Dog, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Below are photos of fake grass that I saw in Las Vegas

Fake Grass2.jpg

Large Fake Grass at Luxor1.jpg
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm glad I'm not the only person who took the time to stare at the real grass... and the fake grass in Vegas. My girlfriend ripped on me for a long time about me stopping to look at the grass while we were there in December.
  3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I was fascinated with it as well. My mother was the only other one in the family that helped me in spotting the areas with fake grass. She actually took these photos with her phone camera.Most spots looked chintzy. The only areas where it looked reasonably good were small beds areas near curbs like the one pictured.The large areas looked......well........ REALLY fake.
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

It is a really good idea for spots like around that tree.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

on the photo on the left, it almost has like a shiny look to it, like it's wet.
    From a distance, like in the photo on the right, it looks decent.
    Thanks for sharing.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My dad has used SynLawn on a couple projects. Stuff looks super real, easy to install, and lasts forever. Great product. Kind of expensive, but for some the costs aren't an issue.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

The Wynn is all synthetic grass in front and the Median in the middle of the strip is also fake. I know I have pics somewhere
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

9. JimLewis

Incidentally, there are almost 5 ACRES of SynLawn at the Wynn Las Vegas - which makes it the single biggest application of Synthetic turfgrass in the world.

And this stuff is catching on QUICK! Even up here in Oregon, where we almost never have drought issues. Last year, I probably had 3 requests for synthetic turf installations all year. This year, I've had 4 already! And from the looks of it at the 2 home and garden shows I went to this weekend, the public is very interested in this stuff. SynLawn et. al. all had booths at both of the home shows, and they were always busy with interested homeowners.
  10. JimLewis

Kind of expensive? Yah, to say the least.

The product costs $5.00 to $6.50 p.s.f. With the hardware and materials needed, the total material costs for a job are about $6.50-$8.00 p.s.f. The SynLawn store in our area sells and/or installs it. If they install it, they charge another $4.25 p.s.f. for the labor. My company usually charges about $4 p.s.f. for labor. Total install will cost the homeowner around $10.50 $12 p.s.f. For regular (real) sod, our rates for the total job are around $.90 to @2.00 p.s.f. That makes Synthetic Turf about 5-10 TIMES more expensive than regular turf. Yah, I'd say that's kind of expensive.

But of course the maintenance cost is where the homeowner starts to see some of that money back. Virtually ZERO maintenance costs for 10 years or more. No water, no fertilizer, no mowing, no edging, no weeding, no moss, no insects, etc.